Just bought TT v.2 - have a question

I could probably sift through the pages of this forum and find answers to my question, but hopefully this will be quicker and less painful, as I am kind of new to the GPS game.
This afternoon, I just purchased the TomTom One from Staples (good price... $199), but realized it is a TomTom v2 instead of v3. I noticed on the web site that it says that within the first 30 days of buying it, if your maps are not up to date that you will get a map update for free, but this was in reference to the v3. Does anyone know if this is still true of the v2 as well? I am currently wondering if I should open it or return it because I'm worried about having a unit with really out of date maps that I am going to immediately have to drop money out to have updated. I've seen some threads reference a serial # and what letter it starts with, and it appears on the outside of the box that this starts with a Z. If anyone has any info that might help, i'd appreciate it lots.

Thanks!

i have the v2 also. just purchased last week. i went through all of this with tomtom support a few days ago about the maps installed which are version 665.1293. tomtom support told me that this was the latest map release for this unit, although i know version 6.75 comes on the 3rd edition tomtom's. are they lying? i think so, but either way they refuse to upgrade the map on the v2 that i just purchased.

now having said that, i had a 3rd edition for a couple of days. purchased it from wally world for $250. found the v2 at radio shack for $199 so i went back to wally world to see if they would price match it. well, yes they would but only if i jumped through 5 rings of fire, leaped a tall building and promised my first born, so i said screw em and got my money back from them, went to radio shack and bought the v2. now i know that wasn't apples to apples but the radio shack add showed the v2 on sale but was actually the 3rd edition and i couldn't fight them over it. but i did find a radio shack with the v2. i wanted to be able to use an sd card.

now, after all of that, to say this, i made a back up of the 3rd edition the first day i brought it home. after getting the v2 i tried to install the maps from the 3rd edition onto the v2 and it was a no go. the v2 unit kept saying there was no map file found. i'm sure there is a way to make it work, i have finally decided to give up on it though. can't find anything on the net to explain it too me.

as far as the difference in the 2 maps, someone else may chime in, but i think you will not see much if any difference between the 2 map versions other than that with the 6.75 version you get mapshare and not with the earlier versions.

Last edited:
there is very little difference between the maps, ofcourse you have mapshare, but i have tried them both and have stuck to the 6.5version and have the older maps. the mapshare is full of bugs and navcore 7.12 , in which it runs, is flawed at the moment, it will be issued for the v2, at some point, if you really want it try the thread on this site that tells you how to get it. with the v2 you can upgrade the sd card , i have got 2x 2meg cards, one with 7.12 and one with 6.5, the 6.5 allows me to use the plugins that i love so much ie movies music calculator flashlight games etc, they are problematic on the later navcore, hope this helps

RE: Just Bought TT v.2-Have A Question

I too just bought the TT one V2. On clearance at Target. Features I really like are the SD Card slot and the ability to plan an itinerary with multiple stops or waypoint that is not offer on the 3rd edition.

This unit has the serial number as the OP states with his unit, I am wondering if TomTom gives the latest map guarantee with these V2 units?

Thanks,

There are new maps available however they are for purchase only.

It really depends on your area if you need a update. For my area, I've tried the 650 and 665 North America map with no significant change.

I guess V2s are on sale everywhere. I bought mine 2 weeks ago. :) I also have the older map on it. My issue is that the street my house is on, which is 3 years old, still doesn't show up. How old is this map? How new is the new one? Is there a way to find this out?

On a side note, mine grenaded itself yesterday to nothing more than the famous flashing red circle with the white X. Can't get anything to go anymore. I have a call into TT. We'll see what happens!

Thanks for all the great advice I have picked up on this site so far!

Stick with the v2

I'd stay with the V2 because of the expansion card for future 3rd party software. I would make sure that you have uploaded the v7.12 operating system.

Now on another note, the 665 & 675 maps have a problem with the POI for colleges and universities. It only shows daycare centers. everyone needs to complain to TT to make it go away. The support folks were not very enthusiastic and said we have to wait for the new maps. I don't want to pay for their screwup.

I think the teleatlas maps on the tomtom are very poor (and old)...if you look online all of the GDT/NAVTEQ maps found at all of the map websites (mapquest, etc.) are up-to-date...yet the maps we have installed are at least 2-3 years old....and...in my area I have canals with towpaths on either side...these are shown as RR on the tomtom maps!!!

Now on another note, the 665 & 675 maps have a problem with the POI for colleges and universities. It only shows daycare centers. everyone needs to complain to TT to make it go away. The support folks were not very enthusiastic and said we have to wait for the new maps. I don't want to pay for their screwup.

I saw no difference between 665 and 675 usa/canda. however, there is a north american 675 which is a larger map with a lot more detail, at least in my home area. you need a 2g card to be able to use it. the usa/canada versions are downsized maps designed to fit the 1g internal memory.

I suspect the new 710 maps will be similar....a version to fit 1g memory with the lesser detail and the 710 north american version which is again much larger.

Ask a Question