Is your Rider mount a POS too?

Does the TT Ride 2 use the same map card (Navtec) for the US/CAN as the one I have for v1?

I'm not sure. I was sent a new map card with the new model. I've not yet copied everything to the 2GB card that I have.

I received my Rider v2. I'm pretty happy with TomTom Support right now...

They made things right for me...:D:D:D

I don't know of many companies that would have done that.

It's refreshing to see a company put customer satisfaction above their profits... Then again, their willingness to help me on the Rider has made them a profit off me purchasing a One (from Best Buy) on Black Friday...;)

That's great to hear Thom - my v1 was in TT's hands yesterday so now I wait for the v2 unit with baited breath. I agree with you that if TT comes through on this "upgrade" it will go a long way to re-establishing my faith in them. There has been a lot of frustration with the original mount and flaky power delivery, not to mention the additional money I have spent on RAM and Wunderlich mounts just to get the TT solid on the bike, but a new v2 with a real mounting solution would be nice:)

I'm not sure. I was sent a new map card with the new model. I've not yet copied everything to the 2GB card that I have.

You copy the original data from the OEM card to a new, "regular" 2GB card? Is this to give yourself extra room on the card for data / files?

You copy the original data from the OEM card to a new, "regular" 2GB card? Is this to give yourself extra room on the card for data / files?

I do so each time I buy new map material or install a new firmware version. This way I can always "downgrade", if problems occur. I always have a second SD card with me on tour.

By the way, the map material will differ between Rider 1 and 2. This is because Tomtom recently bought TeleAtlas and will therefore reduce the share of Navtec material in their portfolio.

Actually the maps are bound to the hardware, i.e. the serial number. If you still use your original maps, that came with the Rider 1 box, there are good chances that they will be accepted in the Rider 2, because only downloaded maps are "branded" and work only in the mentioned device. Because the maps you received with the device are usually not branded, you can use them with any Tomtom device.

You can download any map from Tomtom and use them on any (but only one) Tomtom device (with the right serial number). I recently bought a new european map, that actually was not available for my Rider 1 in the online shop. I selected Tomtom Go 910 and was permitted to buy the map, which works perfect now on my Rider 1.
So far, every map works with every device. Let's see how long Tomtom will keep this rule.

That's interesting about the map use. I was under the impression that it was more restrictive and that the NavTec maps could only be used on Rider models.

I've probably made a mistake by returning the map card with my Rider 1 to TT without making a copy of it first though I haven't found any real differences in my travels between Nav and Tele (Go700).

I'll be happy to get the Rider v2 with a working mount and power supply!

Thom - any comments on the new Rider? Is there anything that stands out to you about it vs V1?

Thom - any comments on the new Rider? Is there anything that stands out to you about it vs V1?

Not too much to report. I used it in the car this morning (it was 28 degrees, so no bike riding for at least 5-6 more months)

• The interface is very similar. I've copied everything over to the 2GB SD card now.
  • The headset will be nice, it's much better.
  • There were less mounting pieces in the box (this is a good thing), the v1 had way more stuff than I could have used and it was just getting in the way. The v2 came with the ball mount from RAM, so all the mounting components that I bought will still work.
  • The AC power adapter had all of the uk adapters for it.
  • The receiver seems to be a bit stronger, I can get sat signals in my building at work and in my office at home.
  • The power button is much easier to use.
  • The mount is much improved over the v1 mount.
When you get the new unit, you'll probably get 2-1GB cards. Something about needing to send 1 with the order, plus the one that is in the sealed box.

I need to again explain that I am :Dsuper-really happy :D with TomTom Support right now. I was hesitant to say anything as to not jinx myself, but I'll bring it up now.

When I was receiving my RMA for the first device, the gentleman told me "put everything you have in teh box because it will not work for the Rider 2" (he meant all the components).
Well, I explained that I had a car mount (just purchased) and he said it would not work and to send it back. I packed it in the box, too. Then I received the RMA and it was for the device and SD card, nothing else. Another call to support, just to report what I was told vs what was sent back.

forward to receiving the new device...

No car mount received. Great, I'm out $45.00 for the car mount???

Nope, a few (kinda lengthy) calls to support and they took care of me, the mount is on the way. I wasn't looking to get it for free, I just didn't want to pay $90.00 for the Rider 2 mount after already spending $45.00 on the Rider 1 mount and returning it to them (without ever using it). I was willing to pay the difference, but they said that they'd process the order free of charge.

I'm glad they are coming through for you on the car adapter but what bothers me about TT Support is the lack of consistency in their policies or answers. As long as you call back, as you did, many times it seems you can get to the answer that you are looking for which is a good thing, but if you don't, your results will depend on who you were talking to.

I received conflicting information on the v1 return and then different answers on what I needed to return from the v1 kit (and that's different, yet, from what you were told).

This isn;t a major gripe though - I guess it's not any different than talking with the airlines for reservations/pricing: keep callng until you get an answer you can live with;)

I Love TomTom more than Thom!

I am ecstatic:) :) :) I returned my TT Rider v1 to TT (the RMA center) and it arrived there Monday of this week. Keep in mind that my Rider was very banged up from coming off of the bike a couple of times - the bottom hinge was loose and the only way the map card would stay in was with a piece of tape across the bottom...

Lo and behold on Thursday OF THE VERY SAME WEEK I opened a brand new TT Rider 2 box with everything a person could want.

I am a very enthusiastic advocate for TomTom - it actually makes up for all of the pain I went through with the original power and mounting issues

Thanks to Thom and this list for reminding that this was a solution for my v1 woes.

Congrats on the quick turnaround. This time tether it while it's in the cradle:p

Tethering is for wimps;)

Had the R2 out today for the first time - loved the mount, loved the Scala headset (what great reception!); loved the constant power supply from the bike's battery!

Can not get it to pair with my Blackberry yet, but with enough effort, I'm sure that will happen:D

I'm having issues with my mount. It was doing the charging bullcrap, but I thought that was because of damage I caused to the mount myself: I accidentaly used the longer screws and tightened them too much, causing them to punch through the bottom of the screw hole and forcing the bottom half of the mount to separate. I bought a new mount kit, and it's still having charging issues. If I push the unit into the mount, it charges, but it will not make a connection under the mounts own force.

I bought this unit used off of eBay (got it for 300$ shipped...seemed too good to pass up for a 600$ retail item) and it works fine but its clear that it has seen some use in the past. The four connectors on the back where the pins on the mount connect have indentations on the bottom of each connector, as if the pins have over time dented the metal. I assume the pins no longer reach the back of the RIDER unit beause of these indentations, hence the charging issues.

I'm considering calling TomTom and trying to work the same RMA magic that you all have, but I don't know if I'll be able to because the unit is old and because I bought it second-hand. Should I give it a shot anyway, or am I SOL?

You don't ask, you don't get ;)

TT was very accommodating with me and my problematic TT v1 -- give it a shot and let us know how it went.

Hi I have a GSXR 1000 K7 too, at least I will when it comes back from having some work done on it. how and where did you mount the Tomtom ? Thanks
(e-mail address removed)

Awesome. Called TT support, and I'm SoL because I bought the unit off of ebay and not from a TT authorized dealer. Also, they can't find the serial number in the system. Sweet.

So I guess I'm going to take things into my own hands and start trying to repair things on my own. Here's a question for anyone with a Rider v1: on the contacts on the back of the unit, are the round contact points perfectly flat, or do they have indentations on the bottom portions of the contacts? Mine have these little indentations that I can't determine if they are supposed to be there or not. It seems strange to me that the pins from the mount would be able to dent the contacts this much, and I can't figure out if these dents are what is screwing up my charging.

My Rider 1 is a year and a half old and have had consistant problems with the mount maintaining contact. After contacting TT customer support and sending a copy of my original invoice, I was given an RMA number to send it in and get a replacement unit with no hassel. My hats off to TomTom for their support dept.

Awesome. Called TT support, and I'm SoL because I bought the unit off of ebay and not from a TT authorized dealer. Also, they can't find the serial number in the system. Sweet.

So I guess I'm going to take things into my own hands and start trying to repair things on my own. Here's a question for anyone with a Rider v1: on the contacts on the back of the unit, are the round contact points perfectly flat, or do they have indentations on the bottom portions of the contacts? Mine have these little indentations that I can't determine if they are supposed to be there or not. It seems strange to me that the pins from the mount would be able to dent the contacts this much, and I can't figure out if these dents are what is screwing up my charging.

HI harbinger67,
the contacts should be FLAT, the indentations we are experiencing aren't supposed to be there.
I had to arm myself with soldering iron and magnifier lens and I dropped a bit of molted metal on the contacts untill they became flat (or thereabvout) again.
In the brief test trip I took after the surgery, I was able to confirm that it is finally charging again.
I'm afraid that killed any hope to have the unit replaced, huh?
I also noticed that some of the insulating rubber was getting in the way between the contacts and the pins, so, on a daily basis, I was scraping that off with my SwissArmy knife.
BTW this is my 2nd support.
I heard many "colleagues" complaining of falling units, so I improvised with one of those handles you get when yo buy a thumb drive.

Ciao

HI harbinger67,
the contacts should be FLAT, the indentations we are experiencing aren't supposed to be there.
I had to arm myself with soldering iron and magnifier lens and I dropped a bit of molted metal on the contacts untill they became flat (or thereabvout) again.
In the brief test trip I took after the surgery, I was able to confirm that it is finally charging again.
I'm afraid that killed any hope to have the unit replaced, huh?

That's exactly what I was considering doing, but I mentioned the idea to a few friends and they said that it wouldn't be worth it because the solder would fall off quickly. I'm going to try it anyway. Right now, actually; I'm going to take it over to the engineering lab and use a really high quality soldering setup :cool:

If this doesn't work, I'm pulling out all the stops. Taking a Dremel to my old crappy mount and cutting a hole in the bottom large enough to mount the unit with the SD card/charger plug door open, and then mounting a car charger adapter on my bike and charging it through the bottom of the unit. I know for damn sure that THAT plug makes contact :p

Thanks a ton for your input. Hopefully this works

*edit*

Just did it and it appears to be nearly perfect. I have yet to really test it, but so far it looks like it finally works as it should.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I was considering doing, but I mentioned the idea to a few friends and they said that it wouldn't be worth it because the solder would fall off quickly. I'm going to try it anyway. Right now, actually; I'm going to take it over to the engineering lab and use a really high quality soldering setup :cool:

If this doesn't work, I'm pulling out all the stops. Taking a Dremel to my old crappy mount and cutting a hole in the bottom large enough to mount the unit with the SD card/charger plug door open, and then mounting a car charger adapter on my bike and charging it through the bottom of the unit. I know for damn sure that THAT plug makes contact :p

Thanks a ton for your input. Hopefully this works

*edit*

Just did it and it appears to be nearly perfect. I have yet to really test it, but so far it looks like it finally works as it should.

I found out it's a short term solution: in matter of a couple of days the holes reappeard and it stopped charging.

I wish you your engineering lab has a better equipment than your truly LOL!
I will try again and see how long it lasts.
Ciao

Hm, I just checked mine are there is definitely some indentations being formed already.

I'm now contemplating on either where I could get or how I could make small 2mmx2mm or 3mmx3mm metal squares or something to solder into the existing contacts. Then it would have both the expanded surface contact area, as well as the elevated contacts. It would also be more difficult for the pins to damage the modifications.

Or I could file down the pins a bit, hopefully just enough so that there is enough contact to carry a current but not enough to damage the solder.

Hm, I just checked mine are there is definitely some indentations being formed already.

I'm now contemplating on either where I could get or how I could make small 2mmx2mm or 3mmx3mm metal squares or something to solder into the existing contacts. Then it would have both the expanded surface contact area, as well as the elevated contacts. It would also be more difficult for the pins to damage the modifications.

Or I could file down the pins a bit, hopefully just enough so that there is enough contact to carry a current but not enough to damage the solder.

I wouldn't cut nor file the pins, it would irreverible, whereas adding the squares it is.
Also squares need to be very small, hard metal and not touching each other, easier said than done :D

Ask a Question