Is your Rider mount a POS too?

TomTom Model(s)
Rider V2, OneLE, XXL540TM
I just returned from a bike trip (1700 miles in 3 days) and am preparing to call TomTom AGAIN...

Issue #1. The mount stopped charging the unit AGAIN (second mount).

Issue #2. The unit kept freezing up. I'd get about a mile down the road from a hard (pin into the reset hole) and the unit would freeeze up again and again.

Kind of upsetting to be 600 miles from home and your only mode of navigation to be on the fritz. (I could have bought a map, but I have the GPS SO I DON"T HAVE TO...)

TomTom made my day. I called to see what could be done about the mount.

I got an RMA... for the ENTIRE RIDER v1.

They are replacing my v1 with a Rider v2.

Can you see me doing my happy dance?

Good, If they ever ship my Rider 2, I'll be ready to mount it so I can get teh bike into the barn for the winter... (Northeast Ohio...:(:()

My rider 2 mount is great. I have it on a 2007 Gsxr 1000. Hasn't budged.

Ready to be sick?:p

I was looking for a rider v1 deal and found a rider2 mis priced for 249. the online store had it listed for the tt1 price. I only bought one because I thought it was to good to be true. :D

No Thom so far my rider2 is working just fine. The mount seems quite strong and the reception on the blue tooth seems to work clearly. TTR2:)

No I called them last week. They received my return and everything is set, they've just not shipped it yet. I'll be calling later this afternoon, again...

I have just sent them all the info they asked for to determine if I can get a V2. I am wondering how long this is going to take to swap out??

I would like to take a nice little ride to Key West, especially this time of year.

I also must find out the differences between 1 & 2

My RMA is dated Oct. 26th
I shipped the old one back on Oct. 27th
TomTom received it on Oct. 29th
As of yesterday I "should receive it Monday or Tuesday, it usually takes 2 weeks to process". By my calculations 2 weeks was up last week, but as long as I get it next week, I'll be happy.

I've followed up 2 times and if I have to call again, I'll be really upset, and they will know it this time (I've been polite, they are doing me a favor, I guess).

As for Differences that I can find:

The Headset that comes with the unit.
The mount for the bike is different and sounds a bit better for charging/running the device.
The mount for the car has a speaker built in. I'd bought a mount for the v1, that the person in the RMA department told me they'd replace, but there is a $50.00 difference in price, so that will wait to be seen. If they don't replace it, they'd better mail the one I sent to them back, even if I cannot use it.
The device shape is bit different (shape wise).

So, let me get this right: if I tell TomTom (again) that my mount is no good on my v1 TT Rider (they have already sent me 2 replacement mounts), then they will send me a new v2? That seems too good to be true but the mount has been horrible and I have dropped the TT Rider while riding on my bike because of it. Of course the charging issue has just been incredibly frustrating as well.

I have spent quite a bit of money trying to "better" the TTR and now have the Wunderlich mount solution for the TTR which works pretty well.

Seems like a new TTR v2 would be the best solution though.

So, let me get this right: if I tell TomTom (again) that my mount is no good on my v1 TT Rider (they have already sent me 2 replacement mounts), then they will send me a new v2? That seems too good to be true but the mount has been horrible and I have dropped the TT Rider while riding on my bike because of it. Of course the charging issue has just been incredibly frustrating as well.

I have spent quite a bit of money trying to "better" the TTR and now have the Wunderlich mount solution for the TTR which works pretty well.

Seems like a new TTR v2 would be the best solution though.

That's what they told me... The asked that I send back the Rider v1 and that they were replacing it with a Rider v2. Hopefully I'll get it this week.

Just got off of the phone with TT support and at first they said "no way" to returning the original for a v2:mad: Then I asked if the new mount would work on a v1 (pretty sure it would not but they had told me previously that it would be compatible) and then I was told that they WOULD replace the v1 with a v2 unit:confused: :)

So, I'll be sending mine off tomorrow and see what happens. My unit is banged up from popping out of the cradle and falling when I was on the bike - hope that doesn't affect getting a replacement.

Just got off of the phone with TT support and at first they said "no way" to returning the original for a v2:mad: Then I asked if the new mount would work on a v1 (pretty sure it would not but they had told me previously that it would be compatible) and then I was told that they WOULD replace the v1 with a v2 unit:confused: :)

So, I'll be sending mine off tomorrow and see what happens. My unit is banged up from popping out of the cradle and falling when I was on the bike - hope that doesn't affect getting a replacement.

Kudo's to you... I'll be calling (not in such a good mood this time) to see if mine shipped YET!!!!!.

I'm not quite there yet either: when i was on the phone with TT Support yesterday I was told I would get an email in 10 - 15 minutes with the correct address to return the v1 to but as of today I have still not received anything from them, hmmm...:confused: :confused: :confused:

As for Differences that I can find:

The Headset that comes with the unit.
The mount for the bike is different and sounds a bit better for charging/running the device.
The mount for the car has a speaker built in. I'd bought a mount for the v1, that the person in the RMA department told me they'd replace, but there is a $50.00 difference in price, so that will wait to be seen. If they don't replace it, they'd better mail the one I sent to them back, even if I cannot use it.
The device shape is bit different (shape wise).

One more difference is, that the Rider 2 uses a different screen layout.
That leads to the state, that many usable tools that come with a gui won't work anymore (i.e. can not be controlled) on the Rider 2 (and on some of the other recent devices). The Webazar applications are adapted already, but I don't know if other 3rd party software authors are as quick.
It's not that important for most users, but you should know about it, I think.

The Rider 2 also uses different firmware and Tomtom Home software versions. There's no v7.x firmware released for both devices so far, but the 6.x version for the Rider 2 is higher. Rider 2 can use Tomtom Home V2.x, Rider 1 can only use version 1.x.

Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
HausHH

Does the TT Ride 2 use the same map card (Navtec) for the US/CAN as the one I have for v1?

I received my Rider v2. I'm pretty happy with TomTom Support right now...

They made things right for me...:D:D:D

I don't know of many companies that would have done that.

It's refreshing to see a company put customer satisfaction above their profits... Then again, their willingness to help me on the Rider has made them a profit off me purchasing a One (from Best Buy) on Black Friday...;)

Ask a Question