Is Navigator 6 dead?

TomTom Model(s)
Tomtom 930
When I go to the Tomtom.com site, I noticed a couple of weeks ago that there is no sign that they even sell Navigator 6 at this point in any form. I thought that might be a sign that Navigator 7 might soon be released, but so far, there is still nothing to indicate that Tomtom even sells Navigator 6 at this point.

If anyone has evidence to the contrary, I would love to hear it, but it seems that we really have been abandoned at this point.

To further back up my statement, you can find Navigator 6 under "Original Products", which is where they seem to put products that are no longer supported or sold.

They have released Nav 7 in Germany, but only for a limited number of devices (all Microsoft OS). Like their 510,710, and 910 devices - they are passing all the older navigator apps by - welcome to the club.

They have released Nav 7 in Germany, but only for a limited number of devices (all Microsoft OS). Like their 510,710, and 910 devices - they are passing all the older navigator apps by - welcome to the club.

I know about the navcore versions being released, but I am talking about the product "Tomtom Navigator 6", which is the PDA software. I just find it unusual that no one has mentioned that Tomtom no longer offers it for sale.

Navigator 6 is still there

I, too, have noticed that TomTom has reorganized their website.

Now, to find Navigator, you need to click on the "Original Products" link. This can be found in many places. Either under Products tab across the top of the main site, or the current "SHOP" link when the mouse goes over the top section of the screen, or the GPS Navigation section just below that on the left. Once on any of these screens, I found that by going onto the "Original Products" link - both Navigator 6 and Navigator 5 are available.

Hope this helps.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled forum - already in progress . . .

I, too, have noticed that TomTom has reorganized their website.

Now, to find Navigator, you need to click on the "Original Products" link. This can be found in many places. Either under Products tab across the top of the main site, or the current "SHOP" link when the mouse goes over the top section of the screen, or the GPS Navigation section just below that on the left. Once on any of these screens, I found that by going onto the "Original Products" link - both Navigator 6 and Navigator 5 are available.

Hope this helps.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled forum - already in progress . . .

Navigator 5 and 6 are listed under original products, but are not available for sale. This leads me to believe that either Navigator 7/8 will be released soon, or we have been abandoned without any word.

I think probable the latter (abandoned). None of the "original products' seem to be available through them anymore.

navigator 8 may, like navigator 7, only be released for limited newer generation devices, leaving older ones with no options at all.

This is why I have real issues with TomTom. Their marketing people can not seem to decide whether to support non-TomTom devices. I got my TT6 working on my new HTC Touch Pro. While it works well (minus issue with keyboard), would be happy to pay a reasonable price to upgrade to TT7+. But no, like the other issues that put me in agony (traffic in US, supported - not really), they don't put out a consistent message that makes you feel suported and like TomTom has a plan.

Looking at this a bit more, I suspect the problem is the memory size(not how much space you have on an SD card) will be limited on many PDA/Smartphones. As a result, supporting a new device is a very questionable thing because who knows how stable things will be due to installed software on the phone/PDA.

If we saw 2GB of internal memory on all the new smartphones/PDAs, then Tomtom might be a bit more supportive of that market, but as someone who used to write software for a living, it would be like trying to make the new 2008 version of Microsoft Office run on a computer running Windows 98 with only 64MB of memory. It might work in theory, but the problems that show up would be hell for technical support.

If we saw 2GB of internal memory on all the new smartphones/PDAs, then Tomtom might be a bit more supportive of that market, ..., it would be like trying to make the new 2008 version of Microsoft Office run on a computer running Windows 98 with only 64MB of memory. It might work in theory, but the problems that show up would be hell for technical support.

While I don't disagree with your comment, why not simply have "minimum system requirements" like most PC software has?

Your Windows 98 computer with 64MB RAM doesn't fit the minimum requirements for Office 2008 (256MB of RAM and XP, 2003, or later, btw). So, if someone called MS with support questions on the non-supported platforms, they would likely be turned away. Same should hold true for TT. If the phone/PDA doesn't meet the set minimum specs, and it doesn't work, tough. If it does work, then great, but we ain't supporting anything that breaks!

Hey Guys

Navigator 7 has been released on a selected range of HTC phones, please check the TomTom web site for a compatability list.

Navigator 6 is still supported but it is no longer being sold by TomTom, and the only maps you can buy now is version 6.75.

Have fun

V

The main issue those of us with TTN6 have is the total LACK of map updates for it from TomTom. That, boys and girls, is one of the main reasons why you now find formerly loyal customers bugging out to other providers. The other main reason is the lack of software updates.

Now, I KNOW that TomTom prefer working with Linux - it is, after all, what the TomTom PNDs use for their OS, but the TT Board have singularly failed, spectacularly, to remember just who the heck put TomTom in the position they hold in the marketplace - the Windows Mobile OS PDA users, who they have completely ignored, following the release of TTN6.

Frankly, the attitude in their boardroom sucks.

And I'm not the only one saying this.

Hey Guys

Navigator 7 has been released on a selected range of HTC phones, please check the TomTom web site for a compatability list.

Navigator 6 is still supported but it is no longer being sold by TomTom, and the only maps you can buy now is version 6.75.

Have fun

V

For the time being at least, I had understood that TomTom has dropped any mobile nav app development plans, according to the meeting with stock analysts back in January. Any comment?

Well they have released Nav 7 with HTC pre-installed.. all I can say is Watch this space

Have Fun

V

The main issue those of us with TTN6 have is the total LACK of map updates for it from TomTom. That, boys and girls, is one of the main reasons why you now find formerly loyal customers bugging out to other providers. The other main reason is the lack of software updates.

Now, I KNOW that TomTom prefer working with Linux - it is, after all, what the TomTom PNDs use for their OS, but the TT Board have singularly failed, spectacularly, to remember just who the heck put TomTom in the position they hold in the marketplace - the Windows Mobile OS PDA users, who they have completely ignored, following the release of TTN6.

Frankly, the attitude in their boardroom sucks.

And I'm not the only one saying this.

The other way to look at it, is that the nav 6 have been out for a long time now, and it has just been put to pasture. Same thing happens with Windows OS systems, same with TomTom. There has been some big improvements and you get the following

TomTom Map Share? technology, Help me! Menu, Extended Safety Preferences, Country Switcher,
Share voices, POIs and other content

And Maps which are now version 8.25.

I know its not what you want to hear but things are updated, new software is released and you cant expect it to keep going forever.

Have Fun

V

Can you explain, then, why other manufacturers have continued to update their PDA GPS products in both versions and maps, where TT have singularly failed to support their customers in either area for their retail PDA GPS customers? Yet TT HAVE released, as a locked with specific handset only on O2 in Germany, V7 for Smartphone/PDA.

Smacks to me, and many others, I'm sure, of a "poke off, folks, we don't bleeding care, we're making a mint from our PND sales, tough droppings".

Does not compute here either

You're preaching to the already converted here Redcap:) I agree with everything you say and I also wonder why they've chosen to abandon development of Navigator. There's people with money just waiting to upgrade who are going to competitors though lack of suitable offerings from TomTom. I believe there was a legal dispute between TomTom and Microsoft some time ago, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Piracy certainly cant be the reason or they'd simply use better anti-piracy measures to combat that (like requiring activation of both the program as well as the maps). Perhaps it's hoped that we'll all buy dedicated TomTom hardware? The only way I'll be using dedicated TomTom hardware is if the car or motorbike comes with the device for free as I have neither:eek:

It's as if they don't value cyclists and pedestrians enough - both major users of TTN. For a company of Dutch origin, their behaviour really astounds me.
[Edit]It's been pointed out to me that TomTom has newly released a version of Navigator 7 for TyTN II users so my complaint is now out of date - are you now satisfied with their (albeit eventual action) Redcap?

Ask a Question