Is MapShare worthwhile?

That's the theory. However, experience has shown that theory differs from reality. The delay in processing Map Share corrections (that I mentioned) results in several map releases that DO NOT contain corrections that have already been submitted. The "problem" arises with corrections that take immediate effect on my maps, such as road closures, turn restrictions (8.x firmware - and 8.x maps? - only). When I update my maps to a new release, it's likely that these corrections won't be included in the new release yet, hence I no longer benefit from the effort I made.

For someone who makes a lot corrections, this can be why they would want to stick with their aging map.

I'm not sure, but I suspect that map changes you make in Map corrections, are stored in a different file on your TomTom. If you knew which file, maybe you could save it then reload similar to how the Favorites file can be reloaded after downloading a new map.

Rick

way to see mapshare changes?

I am fairly new to the TomTom (One XL-S).

Is there anyway to know there are mapshare entries on my tomtom?

This device belongs to my wife who has only lived in my city (Austin, TX) for several months and she is somewhat frustrated with the device.

We have had 3 occurrences where we were given bad directions. At least 2 entries were completely wrong. And these were old roads that have not changed in at least 5 to 10 years if not more. I would say the same of the 3rd occurrence but I was unfamiliar with the area.

My wife asked if we could get a map update but I think the above mistakes were not due to a outdated map that I think have not changed for 5-10 years.

just because the roads have been the same for a long time, doesn't necessarily mean that the maps portrays them accurately. as for mapshare, it came with a particular map update that i can't remember the number of right now (can anyone help me out?). if you have a map version that came before the mapshare update, then you don't have mapshare, just outdated maps. it's possible future updates or mapshare corrections have remedied your problems.

Map 8.10 & MapShare -- impressive :) :)

I upgraded to map 8.10 two days ago, and I'm actually very impressed -- most of my MapShare changes have been preserved. At first I thought maybe they just didn't get deleted when I upgraded the map, but I did have one map change I purposely didn't send in to MapShare (a street that's very hard to turn left onto so I entered that I just can't turn left there). I had to re-enter that one. ...but other submissions I've looked for in 8.10 I've found.

So maybe, just maybe, all of those changes I've put in that no one else has entered (e.g. tiny streets in rural areas) did finally make it in!

I upgraded to map 8.10 two days ago, and I'm actually very impressed -- most of my MapShare changes have been preserved. At first I thought maybe they just didn't get deleted when I upgraded the map, but I did have one map change I purposely didn't send in to MapShare (a street that's very hard to turn left onto so I entered that I just can't turn left there). I had to re-enter that one. ...but other submissions I've looked for in 8.10 I've found.

So maybe, just maybe, all of those changes I've put in that no one else has entered (e.g. tiny streets in rural areas) did finally make it in!

that's the idea! i haven't bumped up to the new maps yet, but i'm glad to hear that the mapshare updates are being implemented. does anyone else have reports of this happening? i'm pretty excited, i hope for all the canadians' that those maps are improved.

that's the idea! i haven't bumped up to the new maps yet, but i'm glad to hear that the mapshare updates are being implemented. does anyone else have reports of this happening? i'm pretty excited, i hope for all the canadians' that those maps are improved.

I can't speak for all of Canada butI took a look at the new section's of the four lane TCH HWY in New Brunswick on the new V-810 map. I see that it is now showing 4 lane from NS border to QC border and there were several parts missing on the older 720 map .

So there is some corrections for Canada that have being implemented on the 810 map.

Hi. Just registered and I am quite concerned over this map share business. I just got the GO 730 and in reading through the Users Guide I see that I only have a 1 year subscription to Map Share then it will no longer be available to me. There is no mention or renewing the subscription or of cost to continue. Does anyone have any further information on this?

Hi. Just registered and I am quite concerned over this map share business. I just got the GO 730 and in reading through the Users Guide I see that I only have a 1 year subscription to Map Share then it will no longer be available to me. There is no mention or renewing the subscription or of cost to continue. Does anyone have any further information on this?

When you purchase a new map, you will get a new subscription. It seems that people say that the year starts from the day the map was released, not when you downloaded it.

I was returning home from a long weekend at Myrtle Beach. While traveling down a state hwy, my 720 told me to turn off of the road. Checking it out quickly, it was clearly a detour since the route came back to the same hwy a mile or so further ahead. The detour was also in a different color. Since traffic was coming at a regular rate in the opposite direction, I ignored the detour. It was the right move. I suppose that was an old Map-Share correction. The detour was probably gone before it was posted.

I was returning home from a long weekend at Myrtle Beach. While traveling down a state hwy, my 720 told me to turn off of the road. Checking it out quickly, it was clearly a detour since the route came back to the same hwy a mile or so further ahead. The detour was also in a different color. Since traffic was coming at a regular rate in the opposite direction, I ignored the detour. It was the right move. I suppose that was an old Map-Share correction. The detour was probably gone before it was posted.

Mapquest did this to me in 2005 while driving from Florida to New York. I had the directions printed on paper. Most of the way I'm supposed to be in 1-95 but many times it would have me get off of I-95, just go eventually merge with it and hour or 2 from now. This was around 2AM, and got me REALLY lost for about 4 hours. Mapquest had me cutting through towns. The next few times mapquest said to get off I-95 just to get back on it later again, I ignored them, and everything went well.

After just checking mapquest right now, they still want me to do the same. I guess these are "shortcuts" they want you to take, but it's so much easier just to stay on one damn interstate, considering you're going to be on it for at LEAST 700 miles anyways.

11: Merge onto I-295 N via EXIT 356 toward INT'L AIRPORT/SAVANNAH. 15.0 mi

12: Merge onto I-95 N via EXIT 35B on the LEFT toward INT'L AIRPORT/SAVANNAH (Passing through GEORGIA, SOUTH CAROLINA, and NORTH CAROLINA, then crossing into VIRGINIA). 560.0 mi

13: Merge onto I-295 N via EXIT 46 toward WASHINGTON. 42.2 mi

14: Merge onto I-95 N via EXIT 43A on the LEFT toward WASHINGTON. 85.7 mi

15: Keep RIGHT via EXIT 170A-B toward WASHINGTON/I-495/TYSONS CORNER. 0.7 mi

16: Merge onto I-495 N/CAPITAL BELTWAY via EXIT 170B toward TYSONS CORNER (Crossing into MARYLAND). 29.9 mi

17: Merge onto I-95 N via EXIT 27 toward BALTIMORE/NEW YORK (Portions toll) (Crossing into DELAWARE). 94.0 mi

18: Merge onto I-295 N toward NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE/DEL MEM BR/NJ-NY (Crossing into NEW JERSEY). 6.4 mi

19: I-295 N becomes NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE N (Portions toll). 73.0 mi

20: Keep RIGHT to take I-95 N/NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE N toward TURNPIKE NORTH/CARS/TRUCKS-BUSES (Portions toll).

It happens. The navigation software people know it happens and regularly try to rid the software of bugs like that one. If you see a detour because of an old road closure, please input the correction for the rest of us.

If it makes you feel any better, when traffic is bad my 920T asks me get off the freeway, drive for a quarter mile on the frontage road, and get back on again. It never considers the extra time to go through the metering lights to get back on the freeway.

Which is a political way of saying that Mapshare doesn't work (not that most of us are too surprised :mad: )

According to Rik Temmink from Tele Atlas they haven't used the mapshare data in there maps up till now and the first map that they will bring out incorporating mapshare data will be released in early 2009.

http://www.teleatlas.com/WhyTeleAtlas/Pres...ssKit/index.htm

(scan down the page a bit to find)

The Tele Atlas Podcast Series is now available!

Download podcasts from the Series to hear from company executives and industry partners and learn more about Tele Atlas, company news, industry trends.

Episode 1, 27 October 2008: CEO Bill Henry introduces the Tele Atlas Digital Mapping Podcast and announces an industry first!

Episode 2, 27 October 2008: Hosted by Tele Atlas? Rik Temmink, learn what community means to Tele Atlas and how community input will help Tele Atlas revolutionize the industry.
according to the new press release from Oct 27th

According to Rik Temmink from Tele Atlas they haven't used the mapshare data in there maps up till now and the first map that they will bring out incorporating mapshare data will be released in early 2009.

Download podcasts from the Series to hear from company executives and industry partners and learn more about Tele Atlas, company news, industry trends.

Episode 1, 27 October 2008: CEO Bill Henry introduces the Tele Atlas Digital Mapping Podcast and announces an industry first!

Episode 2, 27 October 2008: Hosted by Tele Atlas? Rik Temmink, learn what community means to Tele Atlas and how community input will help Tele Atlas revolutionize the industry.
That's good to know! I think I'll hold out on a new map until then!

Very cool - that means a lot of the corrections this last map update people assumed were due to MapShare were really just Tele Atlas constantly upgrading their maps. Looking forward to seeing the map improvements after they are getting their information from multiple sources.

Yeah, I can't understand why if google gets their maps from Tele Atlas, and Tom Tom bought TeleAtlas, why the maps can't be as accurate as what you see on google's site. Hopefully it will catch up.

Some of the discrepancies may be due to an out of date map.

If you are noticing that Google Maps (using Tele Atlas maps) are more accurate than the maps on your TomTom, it is likely that your map is out of date.

I noticed above that you said you were considering updating your map - how long have you had the current map version?

Episode 2, 27 October 2008: Hosted by Tele Atlas’ Rik Temmink, learn what community means to Tele Atlas and how community input will help Tele Atlas revolutionize the industry.

(paraphrased)

"Q: On slide 2 you said that 55,000 community submissions have been incorporated into the new 2008.10 map, but on slide 10 you state that there are over 4.0 million submissions. Why the discrepency."
"A: Currently, we have verified 55,000 community submissions by using other sources. Also, don't forget that many of the 4.0 million are duplicates. One way we verify submissions is that if there are many duplicate submissions from different people, that's a strong indicator that the correction is valid."

That gets a disapproving "Hmmm..." from me. 55,000 to 4,000,000 is a big jump. ...but it appears they recognize the need to validate faster.

"Q: From the time a correction is submitted, when can a user expect to see that correction on their device?"
"A: Let me reword that question, I think what you're asking is when will this newest map we're releasing appear on devices, and the answer is that we will release our latest map to all the myriad of device manufacturers we support in November, which means it should appear in stores in time for the Christmas season."

That's not what he was asking. Hmmm...
RTM in November is not usually enough time to make Christmas for manufacturing. Double hmmm... -- Tele Atlas should know better. Spring 2009 at the earliest even without QA testing.

Ask a Question