Is it possible to fit an external microphone to a 720

Hi Can anyone help me, I have a Tom Tom go 720 I am experiencing difficulty using the telephone hands free facility, the problem is that the person i am speaking to has dificulty understanding me, My voice is distorted to the receiver. The navigator is sited on the front windsreen and i was thinking it was to far away from my driving position. I was thinking about andding an external microphne but cannot find one that is compatable with the 720. Is this possible or is there any way i can adjust the settings to help. Please help.

There isn't an external microphone socket for the x20/ x30 series of devices so you won't be able to connect such hardware.

If handsfree conversation is important consider a dedicated kit designed for the job, I use something called iO-Play which works great with both the phone AND the TomTom via Bluetooth and have never had an issue with it - Mike

thanks mike, do you know if this is a common problem with the 720. I will check out the io-play, just need something simple and it works.

If you want reliability then consider a dedicated Handsfree, whilst the 720 supports Handsfree its not very good at it from what I have experianced:

Poor volume from the built in speaker, should be via the car speakers but thats not possible with TT

Endless lock ups requiring resets when "in call" (not easy when driving)

Lack of audible directions when "in call" a real PITA if you are in a built up area/ city center.

For the above resons I installed the iO-Play, Parrot make similar kit and are worth considering if you really need a working handsfree solution - Mike

Previously when I was using a Garmin, I had bought an external microphone thinking that it would be very useful with the handsfree function of the Sat Nav.

But found out that the wiring required to place the microphone (which was quite small - just a pea sized one) meant that I never ever got round to using it in the end.

The leason I learnt was that if I need a proper handsfree, then get a proper handsfree kit where the speakers are very close to your ears and so is the microphone and it all makes sense to have it all like that always on yourself rather than depend on external devices. I keep my mobile phone in my pocket anyway. It also helps if you have to get out of your car in a hurry, and you like to have the convenience of the handsfree. As in such a case when you get out of the car you should also take the Sat Nav with you but after switching it off.

So handsfree option on the Sat Nav is good to have but still not that useful unless you have a very quiet car engine and quiet car cabin.

It is rumoured that supermod Mike loves his IO-Play unit so much that he actually clips it to his pillow when he finds a couple of hours to sleep each night. :)

(haven't verified the rumour yet, though......)

external mic

Thanks guys, I have not had any problems with locking up or volume, just that my voice is badly distorted at the receivers end. It looks like I need to buy a seperate hands free kit, i had a look at the io-play as suggested by Mike but I think it much to elaberate for what I require, not that fussed about intergrating other devices just need a hands free kit any suggestions.
Thanks Willie

Ask a Question