IQ routing... done on an hourly basis, or on a daily basis???

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920
I finally have my GO920 (not a 920T) updated with a non-buggy firmware and the latest North America map.

From reading the threads, I've gleaned that IQ routing works on a daily basis and not an hourly basis. In other words, it does not take into account the time of the day, or such things as "rush hour" traffic.

I'm wondering though if this info is correct....

I have two destinations on my TT. One is "home" and the other is "work". In the morning when I route to work using the "fastest route" it takes me on a 7 mile trip right through town which is 30 mph the whole way, with at least a dozen traffic lights, but little traffic. If I ask for an alternate route, it still takes me mostly the same way, with only a few minor differences in the routing. There does happen to be one alternate way which actually is the fastest (a 12 mile trip of high speed roads, with no traffic lights), but the TT will only choose this way if I repeatedly ask for an alternate 6 or 7 times in a row.

Now, on the way home on the same day, when I ask for the "fastest route", the TT automatically chooses the longer, 12 mile trip as it's first choice. The route that the TT originally chose for me in the morning (through the middle of town) has a huge amount of rush hour traffic in the afternoon, and that route is only chosen after 5 or 6 pushes of the "alternate" button.

If the IQ Routing works on a daily basis and not a hourly basis, then why does it route me between the same two destinations two totally different ways on the same day? It seems to me that it is taking into account the history of different speeds at various times of the day. The actual fastest route is TT's 6th or 7th choice in the morning, and the first choice in the afternoon.

If it's not taking into account routing on an hourly basis (well, at least not a daily basis), then why the disparity on the routes at different times of the day?

I have always believed (but have no inside info) that IQ Routing does not take into account the variation in travel speed based on time of day. That said, you're not comparing the same route at different times of day - you're comparing a route TO WORK in the morning with a route FROM WORK in the afternoon. Even if you took the same roads for each route, you would be travelling in opposite directions, which could easily have different travel speeds used for IQ Routing.

I believe a better test would be to use the route planning feature to choose the same start and end points at various times of day, and see if you get the same results.

I have read that a version 2 of IQ routing will be coming out and bases data on 5 minute intervals. As of now, It only considers weekday or weekend and nothing to do with the time of day.

Ask a Question