Initalising Blank Memory Card

TomTom Model(s)
tomtom one 1st edition
I have a TomTom One 1st Edition, I have just bought a blank 8GB Memory Card which I want to initialise so that I can update my maps. How do I do this? I have already bought an updated map. It takes up too much memory on my old memory card so therefore unable to install it. :confused:

That model cannot deal with anything larger than a 2 gb sd card (not sdhc).

And everything (maps and application) must be copied to the card for it to work.

Bottom line: you are limited to maps <2 gb in size.

That model cannot deal with anything larger than a 2 gb sd card (not sdhc).

And everything (maps and application) must be copied to the card for it to work.

Bottom line: you are limited to maps <2 gb in size.

Thanks. Cheaper to get a new tom tom:rant:

Maybe not QUITE true dhn. I've used 4GB NON-sdhc cards in so-called "2GB max" models several times and heard plenty of reports of others doing the same successfully.

The spec. for normal SD is officially 2GB, but several manufacturers make (or made) 4GB versions.

The only problem is finding them. But I bought a couple only a few months ago and one is still on my desk right now.

The "4GB SD" was really just a "sorta extension", and not everything would work with it, and good luck finding one these days - scarce as hen's teeth, as they say.

Most often, we found that TomTom units with older firmware would successfully read from those cards, but were not able to write to them properly, so their use was quite limited -- problem being, the even map folder (which is what you'd want to put on those cards) has files like mapsettings.cfg, etc., which require writes. OK for mp3s and the like, but not a lot else.

Hmmm, never had any problem writing to the card in any of the units I've tried it with.Maybe I was just lucky!

And I just found THIS ONE on Amazon, which looks OK at first glance.

Um.. Amazon.uk. Search for "Platinum 117106" on Google and all of the sites are UK based. Finding that or any equivalent card here in the US is a right bugger.

At that price, it might be worth it for the OP to give it a go, and fortunately, he's IN the UK where these things are still available.

Um.. Amazon.uk. .

Is there any other?
v4tunitedkingdom.gif

Ask a Question