TomTom GO 740 Live - Live Services not working - Blank SIM/ MCC/MNC

Brand new TomTom GO 740 Live, brought home installed Home and updated map and software to latest.

I am unable to connect to TomTom Live services shows a yellow explanation point on right side of map.

Clicking on Network shows Not Connected, the MCC/MNC is blank, the SIM ID is blank, the IMEI is blank, model shows 00.01.04

DEVICE: AKVY
App: 8.371
Map North America v850.2781

Using in Philadelphia, PA

Salesman said it was a former demo unit, not sure if this matters as I reset and upgraded software.. Are demo units a different hardware version?

Call support at 866-486-6866 (They are open Saturdays)

Also, register the unit with an email address/pw at TomTom.

Have customer support activate the sim card for you.

740tm and 740live

Call support at 866-486-6866 (They are open Saturdays)

Also, register the unit with an email address/pw at TomTom.

Have customer support activate the sim card for you.

JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH TOMTOM AFTER TALKING TO THEM FOR 45 MIN. ALL LIVE 740 WILL HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE TRAFFIC... THAT IS THE TRIANGLE WITH AND EXCLAMATION POINT YOU SEE... THEY HAVE A BUG SOMEWHERE IN THE SYSTEM THAT ONCE YOU LOG ONTO THEIR SERVER AND ADD YOUR ADDRESS IT AUTOMATICALLY UPDATES AN APPLICATION... iT FOR SOME REASON WILL NOT LET YOU LOG ONTO THE SERVER UNTIL THIS BUG IS FIXED... THE PROBLEM HERE IS THAT THE RDS FM TRAFFIC LOGS ON FIRST AS SOON AS IT SEES THE LIVE TRAFFIC TRY TO LOG ONTO THE SERVER IT DISCONNECTS AND THEN THE SERVER WILL NOT CONNECT AND YOU HAVE NOTHING BUT A TRIANGLE WITH AND EXCLAMATION POINT IN THE MIDDLE.
BAD NEWS THEY HAVE NO FIX FOR IT AND DO NOT KNOW WHEN THEY WILL HAVE ONE... THEY ARE WORKING ON THE FIX. THEY COULD NOT TELL ME IF THE FIX WOULD BE 1 WEEK A MONTH OR A YEAR! THEY DID SAY THAT IS IT WAS NOT FIXABLE THEY WOULD EMAIL EVERYONE A RECALL OF THE UNIT!
THIS GOES FOR ALL THE 740 LIVE AND 740 LIVE TM... WOW WHAT A WAY TO RUN A COMPANY I GUESS THEY DID NOT TRY OUT THE NEW APP BEFORE IT WAS RELEASED. I HAVE BEEN ON THE PHONE ABOUT A TOTAL OF 10 + HOURS OVER THE PAST WEEK TO GET TO THE END OF THE PROBLEM.

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE YOU SEE THIS!!!!

THANKS SHABA

Per your suggestion I called TomTom. They had me scan my sales receipt and upload it to My Questions on TomTom.com product support website. After taking the time to do this I called them back and they told me they reset my 3 month live subscription and I should be good to go.

I am still getting the exact same problem as soon as I tap on Live Services an error message flashes on the top of the screen "Cannot connect to TomTom LIVE services. Please try again later."

It seems to me like it is a problem with my unit and not an issue with my account as the TomTom rep indicated. It seemed like he was just trying to hurriedly get me off the phone. Any other ideas?? Shouldn't there be something on the network screen everything is blank.

Per your suggestion I called TomTom. They had me scan my sales receipt and upload it to My Questions on TomTom.com product support website. After taking the time to do this I called them back and they told me they reset my 3 month live subscription and I should be good to go.

I am still getting the exact same problem as soon as I tap on Live Services an error message flashes on the top of the screen "Cannot connect to TomTom LIVE services. Please try again later."

It seems to me like it is a problem with my unit and not an issue with my account as the TomTom rep indicated. It seemed like he was just trying to hurriedly get me off the phone. Any other ideas?? Shouldn't there be something on the network screen everything is blank.

barracudacx

PLEASE READ MY POST ABOVE... THEY ARE REALLY BUSY WITH THIS PROBLEM!

SHABA

My LIVE traffic is working fine, so it's not a 100% outage.

I've seen multiple Tomtom 740 traffic issues, each with different causes/fixes but all resulting in no traffic.

barracudacx, your issue sounds like the standard problem when the 3-month promo subscription expires and isn't renewed (as is normal for a demo model). Once Tomtom reactivates the subscription on their servers, you need to do a factory reset (preferences -> reset factory settings) on your Tomtom for it to re-attempt to connect. Then go to preferences -> mytomtom login, and rekey your email address. However, sometimes it takes 24 hours for the server to "fix itself" so if it doesn't work try these steps again tomorrow. If it still doesn't work, call Tomtom and ask them to check/reactivate your SIM card as they may have forgotten.

Shaba, what error message does it state when you tap on the triangle? There are a couple of issues (some can be resolved on your own, some can't) and that error message will help us figure out which it is.

I've seen multiple Tomtom 740 traffic issues, each with different causes/fixes but all resulting in no traffic.

barracudacx, your issue sounds like the standard problem when the 3-month promo subscription expires and isn't renewed (as is normal for a demo model). Once Tomtom reactivates the subscription on their servers, you need to do a factory reset (preferences -> reset factory settings) on your Tomtom for it to re-attempt to connect. Then go to preferences -> mytomtom login, and rekey your email address. However, sometimes it takes 24 hours for the server to "fix itself" so if it doesn't work try these steps again tomorrow. If it still doesn't work, call Tomtom and ask them to check/reactivate your SIM card as they may have forgotten.

I called back to TomTom, they said something about not being able to reset the jasper because my SIM card was not showing up in the network screen. So they could not even see the unit trying to connect on their end ?!? I have no idea what that means.. They had me run through a series of soft resets and hard resets and had me reset to factory settings.. The problem is, even after a factory reset, the second that I tap the Change Preferences - My TomTom Login button I keep getting the same error message "Cannot connect to TomTom LIVE services. Please try again later."

So they set me up for an exchange by mail. They sent me a fedex label and I have to ship my unit off to them and they will send me a replacement. They say this will take 7-14 days. I will wait 24 hours before shipping in case it "fixes itself"

Shaba, what error message does it state when you tap on the triangle? There are a couple of issues (some can be resolved on your own, some can't) and that error message will help us figure out which it is.

Yes I know your probably uning the FM antenna RDS Baracuda has the same problem that I have ... It will try to log onto the Live Server but is not able to do so and tells you to try again later. The Senior Tech made me feel like this is all 740 live GPS Like i, told you they know that they have a problem but just does not know how to fix it at this time! PSSSS NO error messages....Just can not log onto the server traffic only google weather and fuel all work great!!!! Shaba

Yes I know your probably uning the FM antenna RDS Baracuda has the same problem that I have ... It will try to log onto the Live Server but is not able to do so and tells you to try again later. The Senior Tech made me feel like this is all 740 live GPS Like i said:
Shaba, Google Weather and Google Local Search are not working for me. I get the same error on those. It sounds like you have a different problem.

I'm using LIVE (GPRS) traffic. I have an FM antenna and a regular non-FM charger from earlier Tomtoms, and I get traffic fine when using the non-FM charger.

I have heard others report Shaba's issue with LIVE traffic not working but everything else working. There's no reported fix to that, but I'm not having that issue.

And I've personally experienced barracudacx's separate "No connection" error in the Network status screen. My fix was to call Tomtom and have them fix my Jaspar SIM, then I did a reset which didn't work, then 24 hours later I did a reset which did work. Many others get working immediately upon the first reset.

barracudacx, for your issue you may want to call again. Unforunately, the level of training/experience of Tomtom support staff isn't consistent. I've seen numerous times on this forum that one rep could fix an issue that a prior rep couldn't fix.

Last edited:
I'm using LIVE (GPRS) traffic. I have an FM antenna and a regular non-FM charger from earlier Tomtoms, and I get traffic fine when using the non-FM charger.

I have heard others report Shaba's issue with LIVE traffic not working but everything else working. There's no reported fix to that, but I'm not having that issue.

And I've personally experienced barracudacx's separate "No connection" error in the Network status screen. My fix was to call Tomtom and have them fix my Jaspar SIM, then I did a reset which didn't work, then 24 hours later I did a reset which did work. Many others get working immediately upon the first reset.

barracudacx, for your issue you may want to call again. Unforunately, the level of training/experience of Tomtom support staff isn't consistent. I've seen numerous times on this forum that one rep could fix an issue that a prior rep couldn't fix.

I think part of the reason that the TomTom rep could not reset my Jaspar SIm is that I couldn't tell him what the SIM card number was, when I go into the network menu they are all showing blank. Is there any other way to find out the SIM card number?

I think part of the reason that the TomTom rep could not reset my Jaspar SIm is that I couldn't tell him what the SIM card number was, when I go into the network menu they are all showing blank. Is there any other way to find out the SIM card number?

My SIM id shows up immediately, even before the TT picks up an internet connection. If you have a blank SIM ID, perhaps the SIM card is defective or missing. I've seen floor demos in Best Buy where the SIM card was removed - I'm not sure if that was per deliberate instructions per TT so that TT doesn't pay a Jaspar bill for the demo.

The SIM slot is under the FCC sticker to the left of the center docking connector. Does that label look peeled off? If so is there an empty slot there?

If you don't see anything by 24 hours, just do the RMA. And make sure you use a brand new email address (gmail addresses have auto-forwarding to your old one) with the new RMA device.

Last edited:

Ask a Question