Indoor charging...

Connect it to the computer with the cable that came with the device. The unit does not have to be on to charge.

Connect it to the computer with the cable that came with the device. The unit does not have to be on to charge.
Hi dhn.....the unit charge socket is round pin, not mini usb.....it's the first edition. I do have the USB to mini usb cable but it's just for data handling..........really need to find an alternative to the in-car charger......

Steve

No, I think the 'data handling' cable is the one you need. One end in the unit and the other in a usb port on the computer.

No, I think the 'data handling' cable is the one you need. One end in the unit and the other in a usb port on the computer.

When I plug that cable in it doesn't even link to the computer - I downloaded the latest Tom Tom Home software (v 2.9) and the message I get is "No device connected".........

Are you using the USB cable that came with the device? And a port on the back of the computer?

Does the computer recognize the connection of the device as an external drive?

We have two separate problems here don't we?

Firstly, your question about external powering indoors. I think dhn is giving you a "bum steer" in post #4... You definitely DON'T want the data cable to power a ONE 1st edition.

To replace the car charger, you would need a mains power supply with a 5 Volt DC output at about 1.5 to 2 Amps (and the correct size of round DC power plug on the end.
There are many "wall wart" DC power supplies available, but most of them will be rather too small to power and charge the TomTom properly (not enough Amps) so choose carefully.

An alternative would be to use the car charger itself, plugged into a mains to cigarette lighter power adapter. It looks like you are from the UK so something like this would be good.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/buy-batteri...ply-adaptors/12v-car-accessory-power-supplies

-----------------------

For the second problem of no data connection to your PC, have a look at all the sections on this TomTom page

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7375/kw/home not recognising device

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I just don't understand how that device woks at all..........

We have two separate problems here don't we?

Firstly, your question about external powering indoors. I think dhn is giving you a "bum steer" in post #4... You definitely DON'T want the data cable to power a ONE 1st edition.

To replace the car charger, you would need a mains power supply with a 5 Volt DC output at about 1.5 to 2 Amps (and the correct size of round DC power plug on the end.
There are many "wall wart" DC power supplies available, but most of them will be rather to small to power and charge the TomTom properly (not enough Amps) so choose carefully.

An alternative would be to use the car charger itself, plugged into a mains to cigarette lighter power adapter. It looks like you are from the UK so something like this would be good.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/buy-batteri...ply-adaptors/12v-car-accessory-power-supplies

-----------------------

For the second problem of no data connection to your PC, have a look at all the sections on this TomTom page

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7375/kw/home not recognising device
Thanks, Andy_P - will have a look at these straight away. I have some charging units which may work - will check ampages before trying!

Steve

Don't beat yourself up dhn, it's easily done!
In these days of "USB charging for everything" it's easy to forget those old models had a separate power socket.

5V input is on an old style co-axial DC power plug
Data only on the USB

ONE_v1_rear_view.jpg

Thanks Canderson! Saw one of these on my google trip through electronics shops.......there seems to be some small (£4.99 or less) adaptors about for second edition but none (yet but am still looking!!!) for the first edition! The other bit of kit I've seen is an adaptor which fits normal house socket and the cigar charger slides into that............!!!!

I have a charger that fits that is 1.5 amps but 6 volts.........would this damage the Tom Tom?

You MIGHT get away with your 6V one, but personally I wouldn't risk it.

EDIT: In another recent post, someone said the first integrated circuit the charger power goes into is a
Linear Technology LTC3411 DC-DC convertor. The data sheet for that chip says it's absolute maximum input voltage is 10V, but there may well be other components that are more sensitive (e.g. there's also a diode that regularly fries if the unit gets fed with 12V accidentally).

The other bit of kit I've seen is an adaptor which fits normal house socket and the cigar charger slides into that............!!!!

Yes, put a link to one of those (from Maplins) in my post above.:)

Last edited:
You MIGHT get away with your 6V one, but personally I wouldn't risk it.

EDIT: In another recent post, someone said the first integrated circuit the charger power goes into is a
Linear Technology LTC3411 DC-DC convertor. The data sheet for that chip says it's absolute maximum input voltage is 10V, but there may well be other components that are more sensitive (e.g. there's also a diode that regularly fries if the unit gets fed with 12V accidentally).

Yes, put a link to one of those (from Maplins) in my post above.:)
Thanks for the very detailed info Andy_P! I don't want to risk going the extra volt despite remembering my Subaru tech days when the built in safety margin was usually higher than you'd expect......I may have to splash out on a cigar charger for the house....!!
Steve

Ask a Question