I'm new too. Question, does traffic work in the US without subscription?

Just got my lovely new TomTom 930T in the UK and here we get some traffic information using the traffic cable thingy without having to pay for it. We're holidaying in California and Nevada in a few weeks and I wondered if it was worth taking the traffic cable with me or whether there are no free traffic services in the US.

Just got my lovely new TomTom 930T in the UK and here we get some traffic information using the traffic cable thingy without having to pay for it. We're holidaying in California and Nevada in a few weeks and I wondered if it was worth taking the traffic cable with me or whether there are no free traffic services in the US.

The traffic antenna is different for the USA....sorry you would need to buy the USA version....also the USA version only comes with a one year subscription.

Crazy idea.

If you are visiting friends here, look on US eBay site for used TT traffic receivers. They would not have a subscription attached to them, but MAYBE when you first plugged it into your device, it would generate a one month trial (my over one year old receiver did just that when I first plugged it into my new 920). You would have it delivered to your friend here - and also have him/her ship it out after you re-sell it on eBay when you are done with it here.

Not sure if that would work (although a call to US TT support might have the answer).

Kind of a stretch, but being a stranger on the LA freeways - it might be worth the hassle in the long run, and would make a good story at your local pup (how I survived the 101, 405 - and all the other alleged freeways=parking lots in LA....).

TT traffic will not work on the local roads though - you are on your own on these...

RDS-TMC (in southern California)

I just purchased the GO930T. I've resdied in so Cal. for better than 30 years, but I can attest to the value of the functionality of getting the traffic information. While I know the frreeways well, what I don't know is what conditions/traffic they hold on any given day. I think the suggestion (above post) is a good one. Besides the traffic, the TomTom will be a good travel partner; California road layouts defy logic and their naming conventions (a mix of English and Spanish influence) would drive you crazy.

Again it would be very helpful - but keep in mind that they are going to only use it while on vacation - then what?

timsharp03: For vacation use, you're better off using the traffic service through the data connection of a cell phone (assuming your phone and plan is capable) and pay the monthly fee. Cancel the service when you return. Far less expensive than a full receiver.

Ask a Question