If you get a Red X on the screen - call TomTom

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720

I just had a nice experience by calling TomTom's Tech Support. I was going to discuss my problem here and see what you all thought of it while I waited to hear back from contacting them online (email). I did that last night. Anyway, I received an email back from them this afternoon and I tried the three things they told me to try (one of them consisted of resetting my GO 720). None of their suggestions worked. At the bottom of the email it told me that if none of those worked to call them at 866-486-6866.

So, I called a nice young lady named Jamie assisted me and actually apologized for what the email told me to do. She said that if there's a red x that it's a software problem and that trying to reset it should not be a suggestion.

TomTom's Jamie guided me through a process where I had to delete the Downloads folder from the program and then do the updates again. It eventually worked and I just wanted to say that if you have an issue (especially with updates) to just call their tech support (don't bother with contacting them through their website - that's just a waste of time).

for some reason their support gets a bad rap...but ive only had positive experiences with extremely nice and helpful ppl....and ive never waited more than a minute or two for someone to answer the phone

for some reason their support gets a bad rap...but ive only had positive experiences with extremely nice and helpful ppl....and ive never waited more than a minute or two for someone to answer the phone
Ditto. Phone support has been excellent. E-Mail support has either been non-existent (no reply) or less than stellar information.

I'm guessing they got their JDPowers award for customer service solely on the basis of their phone support!

Well judging from experiencing both (but only once each), receiving contact thru them via email - they seem like cold dumbasses :rolleyes: ... but on the phone, they are very caring, friendly and will go out of their way to please you.

I'm just so glad that my $400 gadget is working again! (know what I mean, Vern?!) ;)

I'm not surprised with e-mail based responses since they only provide you with generic answers. That is, they try to figure out your overall problem, select the preexisting form/response that looks like it might best fi(x)t your problem, and provide you with that. Almost every business works that way given the amount of e-mail they receive.

Granted, they do the same over the phone, but at least they can look through multiple solutions at once. You also might get a knowledgeable person that actually knows what you are talking about.. ;)

I'm not surprised with e-mail based responses since they only provide you with generic answers.
I sent two emails just after Christmas, and did not receive generic answers... I didn't receive ANY answers!

Ask a Question