Screen Redraw Delays

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 3rd Edition
Re: TT One 3rd Ed.

I've noticed when browsing, zooming, panning the maps, screen redraws get excruciatingly slow when in densely populated areas like near or in downtown Chicago. No, I'm not located in that area, I mean when I'm just browsing a map of that area.

The screen fills in a second or two, it blinks, then POI's start filling in, it blinks again then screen is complete. It takes more than several seconds total. Then if I try to touch a POI icon to get more info and I miss it, the screen shifts slightly and I have to wait several seconds again for the whole thing to re-draw. You can imagine the frustration after missing a POI icon 3 times in a row.

Not so much a problem at all in less densely populated areas.

1. Too much data in the map area?
2. Too many MapShare user correction files?
3. Too many POIs overlaid at once?
4. Some combination of above?

Are there ways to speed up screen redraw response?

Perhaps this is just a limitation of this low end model's processor? If so, I'll learn to deal with it.

Try disabling a few POIs. You don't have to remove them, just do not have them showing on the map. this will help out.

I usually turn off POI's and favorites in heavily populated areas because the screen gets too cluttered. But I haven't noticed a screen redraw delay - in fact one reason I like the TomTom better than my Nuvi 650 is the speed of screen updates.

However, do you have traffic info turned on? That can cause considerable delays drawing the screen in some situations. When my 920T is downloading traffic info, if I choose a function from the traffic menu and then return to the driving screen it can take several seconds. It's funny actually, the view switches to the driving screen with the status bar showing, but where the map should be you still see the menu!

To be fair, I've only noticed this a couple times and I assumed the unit was just overwhelmed processing incoming traffic data. FWIW, I'm using the RDS receiver.

I usually turn off POI's and favorites in heavily populated areas because the screen gets too cluttered. But I haven't noticed a screen redraw delay - in fact one reason I like the TomTom better than my Nuvi 650 is the speed of screen updates.

However, do you have traffic info turned on? That can cause considerable delays drawing the screen in some situations. When my 920T is downloading traffic info, if I choose a function from the traffic menu and then return to the driving screen it can take several seconds. It's funny actually, the view switches to the driving screen with the status bar showing, but where the map should be you still see the menu!

To be fair, I've only noticed this a couple times and I assumed the unit was just overwhelmed processing incoming traffic data. FWIW, I'm using the RDS receiver.

No traffic info.

Just when browsing the maps.

I'm sure it's a limitation with the TT One processor not being able to handle all the POI's fast enough. I'll turn them ALL off just to see if there's a difference. If not, the only thing left is the map complexity and there's nothing I can do about that.

I wish TomTom had a setting for map detail - this is one of the very few things I miss from my Garmin. But there probably is a difference between the One and 920/720. I don't see specs for the 3rd ed on their website but it lists a 266mhz processor for the One XL and a 400mhz processor on the 720 and 920.

I was very impressed with how fast the map scrolled and zoomed, even in urban areas, on the 720/920. In fact, that was the reason I decided to get one to replace my Nuvi 650. I like to do route planning right on the GPS itself, and the slow screen redraws on the Nuvi were very frustrating.

Ask a Question