XXL 550M Problem with Map Red Screen

I just got my new TomTom XXL 550M last night, and after I updated the device and tried to use it, I got a red screen with Problem with Map. Does anyone know how to fix this, please? Thank You.

I just got my new TomTom XXL 550M last night, and after I updated the device and tried to use it, I got a red screen with Problem with Map. Does anyone know how to fix this, please? Thank You.
First, were there any issues reported by Home during the download or update? I'm guessing not. Have just started hearing similar reports in the last 24 hours. Something about problems with the "certificate" that is sent as part of the map file to validate that it belongs to your unit. Hope that isn't your situation.

OK - we gotta ask - sorry. Did you think to do a backup of your unit before you started updating things? If so, we can get you back to your original map at least. If not, you'll need to call tech support to let them know what happened. If you do, please report here what they told you. Toll free: 1-866-486-6866.

Meanwhile, a piece of advice you'll see in half the threads here -- make a Windows (or whatever your O.S.) backup (don't bother with the backup facility in Home) of your unit before ever performing any firmware or map updates. Instructions here:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Thanks. No I didn't do any backup. There are no instructions on what to do when you first get your device. The instruction tell you how to use it, but only once you have it working. I emailed tech support and will let you know what they say.

Thanks. No I didn't do any backup. There are no instructions on what to do when you first get your device. The instruction tell you how to use it, but only once you have it working. I emailed tech support and will let you know what they say.
If you've got the time, be advised that a phone call will result in much faster results than email. Email response is a bit slow. The wait time on the phone isn't all that bad. Dial the number above, then once you're hearing English, press 1, then 2.

Thanks. Maybe I will try calling tonight. I was told some people waited a long time on the phone, and then got disconnected before anyone answered. Maybe it will not be as bad at night. I still have my iPhone TomTom app, but I just wanted something more dedicated to GPS with a bigger screen.

I'm in exactly the same boat. I did not do a backup prior to update. I kinda felt like with a brand new device, that should not be necessary. Apparently it is. :-(

I actually just dealt with a map update issue this afternoon too. I noticed some problems managing a POI category (couldn't delete or edit My_Poi_Category POIs unless, oddly enough, I created an additional dummy category) and upon calling TomTom for support, I was informed of the problems they were having. It's minor to be honest but since I just got the GPS earlier this year it was nagging at me. The lady at customer service told me that there was apparently a corruption of the map due to a problem with their update servers, but that details were still emerging. This may have effected the POI category as it is stored in the map directory. I am currently reinstalling a map backed up on my laptop onto my device to see if it clears up the problem. I've been happy with the device and the CS rep said that if my attempt at reloading my map doesn't work, then by tomorrow they should have it corrected, and reinstalling a map from their server should fix my device. I have to say she was helpful, and assisted me in backing up both my POIs and favourites before screwing around with the device. I'm sorry you're having trouble with your TomTom, but I think you just had rotten luck on your first update. After browsing the forums I don't believe these kinds of update problems to be a common occurrence, or at least not enough of a problem for there to be a lot of posts about it. Hopefully you will be able to update it in the morning and it will be good to go.

I'm in exactly the same boat. I did not do a backup prior to update. I kinda felt like with a brand new device, that should not be necessary. Apparently it is. :-(
The little bugger is a computer... a really small one with a pretty small screen, but a computer (running Liinux, no less) all the same.

Once I have a new computer up and running, the WHOLE thing gets backed up one way or another -- either to a 2nd hard drive (desktop) or NAS (notebook or netbook). It is ALWAYS a whole lot easier to recover from a problem down the road if you have a backup of a device from regular points of successful operation.

I do this with ALL devices that give me the option to do it. Better safe than sorry. Why wouldn't I do the same thing with my TomTom?

I had the exact same problem with my brand new XL 340 LIVE. Called TomTom tonight and after waiting over 30 minutes they told me there was a problem with their servers yesterday and no map downloads worked. Apparently it had something to do with generating a certificate so although the download appeared to work it wouldn't activate on the device. This went on until about 3:00 today. Support had me delete the map from my device and computer and re-download. Fingers crossed...

Welcome to TTF, Merit!

Yep, seems like an epidemic today.

Let's hope TT gets this latest screw-up resolved by tomorrow.

OK Thanks. At least now I know it is a system issue, and I am not doing something wrong.I am trying again, and if it works, I will check out those backup instructions.The first time I tried again, I got an error about a temp file being missing.

WOO Finally! I tried to install the map a second time and got a missing file error again. Then I went and manually copied the missing files to TomTom, and then when it was done, I disconnected and it finally worked. Now I am backing up. Thanks for all the help!

Matt Arnold

Ask a Question