I have typed Lat & Long in dd.mm.ss.ss format on a text document on a Mac ...

...example:- 51°53'25.34"N 013°49'57.32"E

... How do I transfer many of these onto a TomTom in order of use for a trip using the names I want?

I have been typing it long hand which is tedious.

I've tried GPS_coordinates.xls and LoadMyTracks without luck.

Thanks.

Well, it depends upon the model but, for example, on my 720:

On the main screen, status bar, tap the right side, I get another screen showing the satellite bars on the top right.

I click on them and get a new screen with a 'configure' button on the bottom.

If I tap that, I get a choice to show lat/long in Degrees, or Minutes or Seconds.

So, I suspect you would choose the Seconds option.

Then when you do want to enter a lat/long value, you should be able to cut and paste from your hard copy, I suppose.

Not sure if you have access to a PC to install POIEdit (freeware). It can also be installed as a portable application on a USB drive in case that option would be of use. Personally, I've used POIEdit for a number of years to mass input data but not latitude/longitude lists.

Sounds like an interesting project. Hopefully you'll find *the* program to do the job for you.

It's a difficult choice of coordinate formats.

In your shoes, I would use a utility called POIEdit to create my own Points of Interest file (TomTom knows them as *.ov2 files) and shove the resulting ov2 file into your map folder on the Carminat SD card so it can be found as a POI.

POIEdit can be found here: http://www.poiedit.com/downloads.htm

Oops .. looks like Alfie beat me to it.

Ask a Question