manage POI'S, typed messages

TomTom Model(s)
2535M Live
i enjoy writing at many POI's what my computer voice says under manage your pois. Right now if my unit reboots by itself (I know that it is a common known problem) whatever I typed for these pois disappears. I was wondering if anyone knows what file or folder these typed in instructions are kept so I can copy them to my destop and have an instant replacement when and if they get lost again. Thanks

Rebooting is a common known problem? I didn't know that. At least for me that isn't a problem. It NEVER reboots on its own. It shouldn't. Rebooting indicates file corruption either on the map or NavCore software. It is fixed by deleting/formatting/reinstalling everything (Map, voices, NavCore, etc)

Rebooting is not a glitch or bug that you can or should simply ignore. It should be taken care of.

rebooting

thanks for your quick reply. I've spoken to phone support and email support many times but their pat answer is to reinstall the application which I know does not fix this problem. For me rather then getting in an all day repair possible format i rather wait for new updates. but thanks for your imput.

i enjoy writing at many POI's what my computer voice says under manage your pois. Right now if my unit reboots by itself (I know that it is a common known problem) whatever I typed for these pois disappears. I was wondering if anyone knows what file or folder these typed in instructions are kept so I can copy them to my destop and have an instant replacement when and if they get lost again. Thanks
This will probably sound EXTREMELY simplistic, but if I correctly understand when current TomTom units write new data to flash, it happens at power down - the ORDERLY kind - NOT the spontaneous reboot! Rather than constantly hammering away at the flash memory every time we make a change, and since power down is "soft" on these devices, it need only do flash writes at that time.

If you will power down your unit after you've made your changes, rather than allowing it to reboot itself before you get around to it, you should find that your new data was successfully moved from DRAM to flash in the process.

Let me know if this works out for you. I would - but mine hasn't spontaneously rebooted for the last few firmware releases.

powering down

thanks for your help. I usually always power down normally. Sometimes their may be a day or two between this unexpected reboot while on some trip.. But after this unxpected reboot of my tomtom application I loose the typed messages that were written to some pois. thanks.

My device used to power itself on after I have just finished powering it down, like canderson said. The rebooting was due to a failure in writting contents to the memory at shut down. Reformatting fixed this issue for me though.. err..

Tomtom phone support rarely recomends a full reformat of the Tomtom, just an application reinstall.

We've found that when all else fails to fix a frezze/lockup problem, reformatting solves the problem much of the time.

That said, it seems there are still unresolved rebooting issues in the 920/930 models. But locking up as much as you're mentioning seems way too frequent.

My device used to power itself on after I have just finished powering it down, like canderson said. The rebooting was due to a failure in writting contents to the memory at shut down. Reformatting fixed this issue for me though.. err..
Interesting. If reformatting worked, and if they were correct about the bad writes at shutdown, that would indicate that there was a chunk of flash memory that was bad, but hadn't been mapped out to a good one the first time it was formatted. Not typical for you to get a "new" bad area, but it can happen. Surely sounds that way in your case.

Maybe the Tomtom keeps a dram cache, and didn't implement "flush before restart" properly in app 8.35x.

It seems unlikely that this many members would have bad flash.

Ask a Question