I deleted all Files By accident

I'm an old "technically challenged" type. I had my TomTom OneXL connected to my computer and I inadvertently deleted ALL files. I got mixed up and deleted E drive (which was the TOM TOM) instead of the F drive which was my external hard drive. Now the unit wont go past start screen which has picture of unit against blue background, with an added large red circle with an X in ti. Is there anything I can do to revive this thing? I did not create any backups.

I'm afraid you may be out of luck with no backup of the map from your unit (everything else, application, voices, etc. can be downloaded for free).

Don't suppose the map folder deleted was an upgrade from an original map for your unit? If so, you are in luck as the map will be on your computer in compressed format and can be re-installed.

If not, you might get a sympathetic ear from TomTom support at 866-486-6866 to at least offer up an old version map for your unit to get you going........

If not, then you'll have to buy a new map for the unit.

I deleted all files

When the unit was connected to computer, I hit select all, and delete, so its not just the maps, its every single file on the unit. I was switching drives and should have unplugged unit, as I confused e,f, and g drives. Now when I look at the unit (E drive) there are no files at all, I wiped the thing clean.

As I said, without a map backup, I'm afraid you are out of luck. You'll need to purchase one through Home,

When the unit was connected to computer, I hit select all, and delete, so its not just the maps, its every single file on the unit. I was switching drives and should have unplugged unit, as I confused e,f, and g drives. Now when I look at the unit (E drive) there are no files at all, I wiped the thing clean.

You can recover everything for free except the map. The map you'll have to either buy, or call TT and see if a sympathetic rep will give you an old one.

To recover everything else:
- disconnect the Tomtom
- turn the Tomtom until it has a red X
- connect the Tomtom to your computer
- Open Tomtom HOME
- Run Update my XL repeatedly, until it has nothing else to offer

At this point the Tomtom will turn on and say "no maps found". After this, you'll need to buy a map through Tomtom HOME, or see it Tomtom phone support gives you one.

Ask a Question