How to use the memory Card 740 Live

TomTom Model(s)
Carminat TomTom Live
I have bought a 4gb card for my 740 Live and wish to put all the data on it so the TomTom runs from the card.
Followed instructions I have read of backing up internal memory, then inserting card and within Home click the option for memory card which is recognised, however when I then go to reinstal the back up it does not put it on the card but onto internal memory again.
Have also copied all files onto compurt but cannot see within Home a function where you can reinstall from Computer onto TomTom (memory card.
Any guidance would be helpful as only 194mb free on internal memory (removed all voices except 1).
Ian

Just use Windows Explorer to copy the device contents to your computer, then with the memory card either fitted in to the TomTom or a card reader use Windows Explorer to copy the data to the card, with the card inserted to the 740 it will boot from the memory card.
As the MicroSD card is so small I would suggest you put a small bit of tape over the slot for the card, if the card were accidentally ejected in the car you would probably never find it again! - Mike

Help

Just use Windows Explorer to copy the device contents to your computer, then with the memory card either fitted in to the TomTom or a card reader use Windows Explorer to copy the data to the card, with the card inserted to the 740 it will boot from the memory card.
As the MicroSD card is so small I would suggest you put a small bit of tape over the slot for the card, if the card were accidentally ejected in the car you would probably never find it again! - Mike

When you say use Windows Explorer do you mean find the files and copy paste im not sure what you mean. Im having this same issue, can you help me please.

No reason a 740 should start to flake already. Even then, it's a big problem only if the maps are still on internal .. as a 720 user here recently discovered when his USB connector died. To cover future issues, you don't want anything but the operating software on internal. The unit will boot preferentially from the SD card, but will continue to insist on using map and other data (e.g., personal POI lists) from internal if it's there.

So unless/until the internal flash dies, just keeping the user specific and map data out on the card is all that would be needed.

None of it is a problem if you have a proper backup.....

Ask a Question