How to free up space when using a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

canderson

TomTom Model(s)
GO720, GO740, GO 1535, Via 1535, Via 1605, GO 52, GO 600, GO 620, GO 630, GO Discover, TomTom Bridge
OK - Mac tutorial time.

The bright boys back in California think it's a great idea to keep a LOCAL trash can on USB connected disk-type devices (thumb drives, TomTom units, etc.). As an application fiddles files, old copies relegated to the trash via OS call wind up disappearing from active use on these devices, only to be moved over to the LOCAL trash can. For no apparent reason, available space starts to disappear.

Your first step will be to EMPTY the local trash can on your TomTom "drive". That will likely free up enough space to install the new map.

Once you've emptied the trash, confirm that you've got the space. I think you will.

Next, use the instructions that dhn provided above on how to take that map out on your Mac's hard drive and manually get it extracted/loaded onto your TomTom.

After you're up and running, investigate one of the utilities that keeps OSx from creating those stupid local trash cans on removable drives. It'll probably save you some grief on other devices as well over time.

I've no idea how I'd find a local device trash can. Nothing I have heard of and nothing I can find on my Mac.
Just like your 'regular' hard drive on your Mac, your TomTom has been allocated a trash can by the OS. It gets emptied just like your 'regular' trash can.

Ctrl-click your trash when your TomTom 'drive' is open in Finder and select "Empty Trash".

Here's a classic thread on the topic that will lead you not only to the likely solution of the moment, but how to avoid this down the road:

Annoyed USB flash drive problem, please help! - Mac-Forums.com

As often as this keeps coming up for Mac users, I'm thinking we may need a 'sticky' tutorial on this one of these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question