How to enable IQ routes when selecting "shortest route"

TomTom Model(s)
XL 340s
I noticed when selecting shortest route, that the IQ routes is saying its disabled. Can this be enabled when selecting shortest route?

Thanks

No it cannot, to be honest the "Shortest Route" option is a waste of time and something that should never be used IMHO, other than a marketing tool I see no point in this at all - Mike

Shortest route has always been useless, even with mapquest. First time I ever tried it, shortest route ended up taking so much more time.

Would you rather drive on a 5 mile road at 55 MPH without lights or stops, or a 3 mile road filled with traffic lights, stop signs, and speed bumps?

Trying to use IQR with "shortest" route wouldn't even make sense. IQR is a database of historical travel speeds over specific road segments. But you don't want the travel time estimates, you're requesting the shortest travel distance, ignoring how long it will take.

I enjoy "shortest routes" at times when taking Sunday drives or period of vacation travel. Shortest routes has taken us on some very nice sight seeing drives!! We often refer the "shortest route" as the scenic route!! So it depends on your driving conditions. Thanks for the answers.

Trying to use IQR with "shortest" route wouldn't even make sense. IQR is a database of historical travel speeds over specific road segments. But you don't want the travel time estimates, you're requesting the shortest travel distance, ignoring how long it will take.

Will IQR also log all my driving and report it back to TT headquarters for evaluation? Could at some point see one of my consistent "fast routes" change because of a new direction I may have taken that was better?

Thanks for being patient with these newbie questions!! But Im enjoying the XL 340s flexiblility!!

If, in Home, you agreed to provide data anonymously, then all travel you made using the unit since your last Home update gets sent back to TT. Presumeably, that data, regardless of what roads you took may be incorporated by IQ routing in a later map.

Can someone tell me if you can use IQroutes with the avoid freeway option?

Sometimes (depending on my load) I have to stay off the freeway. I've looking to upgrade to an IQR model but if it doesnt utilize itself with the avoid freeway mode its useless too me...

I really cant understand why it wouldnt though. It still knows which none highway roads are faster then others.

Yep.........

IQ Routes will still work while avoiding freeways. (Just tried it to make sure :eek: )

As usual thanks again dhn...

And thankfully it works, I actually got a little nervous. If it didnt work I would have had to :gulp: consider the competition....

I'm hearing the "competition" actually took a step backwards.

In Garmin's 2010 maps, some are reporting that Garmin reclassed state highways into the same category as interstates, meaning the new maps drive you straight through the downtowns of cities instead of interstate loops around them. Yikes....

The IQroutes disabled warning just reminds you that IQroutes (historical road speeds) were not used in the route calculation. In shortest mode, road speeds are irrelevant so it gives the warning.

Ask a Question