"Enable Speed Cameras" option disabled in XL

TomTom Model(s)
XL IQ² EU
Hi all,

I bought a TomTom XL in mid-2010, and ever since I started using it, even if I NEVER bought the TomTom Safety Cameras subscription, I could see at least some warnings of speed cameras, even if probably they were not the most complete nor the most updated ones.

Anyway, a few months ago something strange happened to my device when I was trying to change the Map Zone (I have the full Europe XL version), and all my config and favorites vanished from the device. Not so much harm done, I kept using it normally, but I realized that the speed cameras warnings had disappeared.

Since I'm not using the device so much anymore (I finally learned how to circulate around my new home in Europe), I didn't look deeper into this until today. I thought it was just a configuration option. So today I went to look at the Options menu, and found the "Enable Speed Cameras" option, but it is disabled (grey'd out)!

Anyone know why is that? How can I get back my speed cameras warnings, even if my map is quite old by now? I'm actually thinking of buying the 1 year map update now, but I wanted to fix this problem first.

Many thanks,
Leo.

PS: I don't know if this makes any difference, but I remember buying the TomTom XL2 device, which was a newer version of the TomTom XL. However, if I go to the "System Information" window in TomTom HOME, it says my device name is "TomTom XL".

Hi Leo,

did you create a backup of your device prior to changing the map zone and did you ever download a speed camera update or copy it from your device to your computer?

If yes you should be able to add the speed camera files back to your device via the following steps: Add voices, traffic, etc. -> items on my computer -> speed cameras -> install. Afterwards you should be able to enable them again.

Regards
Lars.

PS: I don't know if this makes any difference, but I remember buying the TomTom XL2 device, which was a newer version of the TomTom XL. However, if I go to the "System Information" window in TomTom HOME, it says my device name is "TomTom XL".

That doesn't sound right, but I wouldn't trust Home to get ANYTHING right... Try entering the irst two characters of your serical number in the on-line tool here

Hi guys,

Thank-you for your feedback.

Hi Leo,

did you create a backup of your device prior to changing the map zone and did you ever download a speed camera update or copy it from your device to your computer?

If yes you should be able to add the speed camera files back to your device via the following steps: Add voices, traffic, etc. -> items on my computer -> speed cameras -> install. Afterwards you should be able to enable them again.

Regards
Lars.

Lars,

Where would this back-up be stored? I also formatted my computer recently, but I kep the same "Documents" directory, meaning that the TomTom folder stayed put. In this directory I can find a Backup folder, with subfolder XL, which has about 1.5Gb, so I guess it is indeed a back-up.

However, if I follow the path you suggested to install "items on my computer", it simply shows "No items available". Maybe this is because now I have a different map zone installed, i.e. it doesn't recognize the cameras from the other zone backed up? Or maybe it is just not seeing the back-up somehow?

Thanks!

That doesn't sound right, but I wouldn't trust Home to get ANYTHING right... Try entering the irst two characters of your serical number in the on-line tool here

Well, at least the website says the correct stuff: XL IQ Routes ² / XL 250 / XL 350 - 2GB TTS*

Anyway, I wonder if this has any negative impact on TomTom HOME operation?

Thanks!

I just saw something interesting on my device files: There are two particular folders that called my attention: "Europe_East" and Europe_South"

In Europe_South (my previous zone), I can see a bunch of files ending with ov2 and named "Autovelox_IT", "Radar_ES", etc... but nothing like that on the Europe_East folder!

Now, a few questions:

1) I guess that if I go back to Europe_South, I will have the cams back, right? I will probably try this later today.

2) If my device came with the FULL Europe map, and that included the Safety cams from that time, why did I change zones and then lost the safety cams?? Is this issue to be taken to the official tech support?

3) If I buy and update to my Europe map, will it come with new cams? Will I at least be able to use the cams that I currently have?

Thanks all!

The full Europe map has gotten too large for most unit's with the limited storage size available. Hence, TT has gone to zones as you have observed.

If you copy the ov2 files from one zone to another AND the countries for the ov2 files exist in both, then the cams should work onb both maps.

For example, in your post, the ov2 files are for Italy ('IT') and Spain ('ES'). If those countries are in Euope_East (which I don't think so .) the cams would wotk.

Hi dhn, it worked! I know have the cams back, at least here in Italy (which is in both zones, btw).

Anyway, stupid that TomTom Home does not do this automatically, but... maybe I should've expected this.

One question remain though: If I update my map, will these cams still work?

Thanks!
Leo.

The new map install should retain custom ov2 files. But, make a backup (Explorer, not Home) of your unit's contents prior to getting the map update, just in case you have to copy the files over again.

Ask a Question