How Long???

TomTom Model(s)
920T
How long does it take for a new sub-division or street to show up on TomTom maps. I am staying (temporarily:eek: ) at my daughters. The sub division has been here 2+ years, she has liveds on her street for 1+ years yet according to TomTom we are the sole occupants of a very large field:mad:

With TT charging a fairly hefty price for map updates, the least they could do is keep them up to date.

Is there any way to find out, before throwing away more money, whether certain streets will be on their "NEW" Map release?

This is pretty common, whether its TT, Garmin or whomever. In my large town there are streets that have been in existance for 5 years and dont show up.

You can always ask someone on the forum with the latest map to look for you before you decide to buy or not.

I have the most current map for the TT R2, the 815.

Cheers

Unfortunately this is indeed a problem. A local four lane highway does not even show up and that was built 10 years ago or so. I send in the corrections with TT home.

My 815 map matches google maps (also powered by teleatlas) perfectly. Every mistake I found in one map was also in the other. So google is a pretty reliable indicator of whether your subdivision will show up on a new map.

In my experience I saw 6-month-old changes implemented in maps, and 5 year old changes not implemented. It's hit-or-miss.

Per teleatlas, they use government sources as their base map data.

Then, if a ton of people report errors in an area, they check it out on the internet (google maps/street view). If unable to determine via google maps, then they send out a mapping truck.

So it's really hit or miss. The more populated the area, the more likely that the map's up to date.

"The squeeky wheel gets the oil..."

We need to tell everyone we can about errors.

1) Make the map error report on your tomtom...

2) tell Tele-atlas here:
http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/index.php?Language=en

3) heck.. even let Google themselves know here:
http://maps.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=98014
under "Something missing from the map" is this entry:

If you can't find a street on Google Maps, it's likely that our road network supplier (TeleAtlas) hasn't captured your location yet.
What can you do between now and the time we get updated road data? Two things, and both of them immediately.

First, you can let our data provider know about a new road. That will put them on notice and get the update process rolling now. Here is the link:

Contact TeleAtlas

Second, you can put your own road or neighborhood on the map using My Maps quite easily.

While it may seem like many steps, it's simple after the first try. Once you're done, all public maps will be searchable in Google Maps almost immediately.

That's all it takes to put yourself on the map, so to speak, until TeleAtlas updates your road. Thanks in advance for helping to make Google Maps a little better today!

Last edited:

Ask a Question