How does IQ routes know what day it is

I'm confused...
On the TomTom website it says that IQ routes will pick the optimum route based on time of day and it suggests a route on a Sunday will be different to one on a Monday morning. However, on my TT One IQ unit there isn't an option to set the day/date, only the time. So, how does it know what day it is to plot the best route?

If you tap the satellite bars, you'll see the time shown in UTC measurement. Believe the signal 'knows' the day that way.

Somebody will surely correct me but the bottom line is the unit will know! ;)

If you tap the satellite bars, you'll see the time shown in UTC measurement. Believe the signal 'knows' the day that way.

For comparison look what time is shown when connected through HOME.
That only shown UTC (GMT) and your device will display your time zone adjustment.

For comparison look what time is shown when connected through HOME.
That only shown UTC (GMT) and your device will display your time zone adjustment.

That doesn't really explain how it knows I'm travelling on a Sunday morning for example and not any other day of the week.
Does the IQ routing really work that effectively or is it a gimmick?

One or more of the data outputs from the GPS receiver is GPRMC which breaks down as follows:

$GPRMC, <1>,<2>,<3>,<4>,<5>,<6>,<7>,<8>,<9>,<10>,<11>,<12>

<1> UTC time of position fix, hhmmss format
<2> Status, A=Valid Position, V=NAV receiver warning
<3> Lattitude, ddmm.mmmm format (with leading zeros where requ)
<4> Lattitude hemesphere, N or S
<5> Longitude, dddmm.mmmm format (with leading zeros where requ)
<6> Longitude hemesphere, E or W
<7> Speed over ground 0000.0 to 1851.8 knots (with leading zeros where requ)
<8> Course over ground 000.0 to 559.9 degrees, true (with leading zeros where requ)
<9> UTC date of position fix, ddmmyy format
<10> Mag Var, 000.0 to 180.0 degrees (with leading zeros where requ)
<11> Mag Var direction E or W
<12> Mode indicator, A= Autonomous, D= Differential, E= Estimated, N= Not Valid

Line <9> is where the device grabs the date from - Mike

Does the IQ routing really work that effectively or is it a gimmick?

I've found it handles the day of week properly. Routes are very different in Boston on weekends.

When you plan a route, it will show a quick summary screen that shows the specific day and time it was planned for, so you can see there that the Tomtom's knows the day.

Ask a Question