Does the XL350 consider the day of the week with IQ routes

I just bought a XL350T. Among other reasons, I was attracted to the IQ routes feature. My old Tomtom didn't have it and I live in Boston. Argh.

When I was setting it up, I noticed there was no place to tell it the current date or day of the week, just the time. Doesn't IQ routes rely on both time of day AND day of week to plan a route? If so, how does my Tomtom know what day it is?

Thanks.

I just bought a XL350T. Among other reasons, I was attracted to the IQ routes feature. My old Tomtom didn't have it and I live in Boston. Argh.

When I was setting it up, I noticed there was no place to tell it the current date or day of the week, just the time. Doesn't IQ routes rely on both time of day AND day of week to plan a route? If so, how does my Tomtom know what day it is?

Thanks.
Thanks to the satellites themselves and the data they transmit, your TomTom knows what day of the week it is. In fact, it really could know the time of day if they wanted to sort out when everyone handles daylight time, if they do (Arizona - harumph) and all of the odd lines that make up time zones (they're far from straight, especially goofy between our Central and Mountain zones in NA). Guess they figure you can do it more easily than they can.

And yes, your TomTom takes day of week and time of day into consideration when doing route planning with IQRoutes enabled.

Last edited:
Thanks to the satellites themselves and the data they transmit, your TomTom knows what day of the week it is. In fact, it really could know the time of day if they wanted to sort out when everyone handles daylight time, if they do (Arizona - harumph) and all of the odd lines that make up time zones (they're far from straight, especially goofy between our Central and Mountain zones in NA). Guess they figure you can do it more easily than they can.

The new app 10.x devices (like the GO2505 and the Via) do automatically figure out your timezone. And it handles Arizona surprisingly well. It even knows that the Navajo Nation observes DST while the rest of Arizona doesn't.

Yeah - now if they'd just finish the important things instead...

Does it know when the school holidays are? That makes a huge difference in the rush hour!

From my experience, it doesn't recognize holidays. IQroutes gave me rush-hour-avoiding directions on weekday holidays.

The current version of IQR doesn't recognize specific dates, so summer travel routes are handled just as they would be during winter. Same for holiday traffic. That does make some rural/tourist area, vacation and/or holiday routing inefficient. The revised and updated IQR Plus to be made available to the newly announced 25xx live models will supposedly make seasonal and holiday adjustments. But they're going to be "over the air" as I understand it. With Live services (TomTom servers) not the most reliable, I would hope that they really aren't planning only cellular delivery of IQR Plus, especially with the slow GPRS data stream TomTom has chosen to stick with.

Last edited:
Tomtom mentioned using historical traffic in it's release of HD Traffic 4.0.

I did notice that starting a few weeks ago, Tomtom appears to now be using LIVE traffic data to "fix" the problem where IQroutes doesn't show roads slower than 10mph.

So perhaps Tomtom has now enabled that portion of HDT 4.0 in it's USA LIVE server.

If that's the case, then the seasonal adjustment seems like a rather minor evolution of the service.

Ask a Question