how do i backup favourites on tomtom one v4?

Hi guys

Its hopefully a simple answer but im just wondering how i go about backing up my favourites... as at the minute im finding every time theres a map update available and i update my tomtom i lose all the favourites...

help would be much appreciated

gav

Use Windows Explorer to view the folders and files stored on the device, locate your current map folder it will be named after the area the map covers such as "North America" "UK&ROI" or "Western Europe" open this folder and locate the "MapSettings.cfg" file, this is where Favourites are stored.

The main problem is the file tends not to be compatible with each map release which is why I don't recommend using Favourites, instead consider saving all your locations in a single custom POI file on the device, you still have the same functionality but the custom POI file can be used on any TomTom software from the PND you have to the PDA and/ or iPhone version (Jailbroken to install the POI though).

This will not suffer at your next map update, if you want additional information on how to convert your current favourites in to a Custom POI file just ask - Mike

Agreed, this is exactly the way I did it when changing from a PDA to a TomTom ONE. I have a POI created called FAVS.ov2 and I have no problems copying that around different maps. IF you want to add favourites again, just go to that POI, navigate to each entry and save them as new favourites.

thanks for the quick response guys and for the amount of information you have provided, ill give that a try now :)

FYI - starting with HOME 2.7, you no longer lose favorites when upgrading a map.

Loss of Favorites continues with older models

FYI - starting with HOME 2.7, you no longer lose favorites when upgrading a map.

This FYI quote apparently does not apply to older models, like the 720, even when running on 2.8.2.2264. Not sure why because I pay the same fee for the map updates as I would with a newer model. TomTom wants us to write congress about not having to buy new more expensive GPS units. This issue seems to be telling me I have to anyway.

Lucklily, this time I was smart enough to copy the cfg file before the update, even though I just read the "FYI" above and verified Home 2.8. I copied it back in after the map update and got my favorites back.

I keep seeing posts to convert favorites to POI's but I'm not seeing instructions. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks

I would so like this to be true mvl, as that's what I've been telling people too!

But my update to v880 maps on my Go940 using Home 2.8 DID lose favourites and POI settings.

Strange. My GO740 updates have been behaving just fine .. although it was my impression that part of the difference was the Nav9 firmware (vs. prior), not the version of Home being used. Whatever - I haven't seen this issue for quite some time.

I would so like this to be true mvl, as that's what I've been telling people too!

But my update to v880 maps on my Go940 using Home 2.8 DID lose favourites and POI settings.

I found out over the weekend that it is crashing on any search for placenames too....:(

(Navigate to city, Navigate to Address, POI in city etc.)

Ask a Question