How can I make a route with tomtom GO v3?

I found a way to create my own route using google maps and created an itn file from it, but realized that my version doesn't work like that, or the feature is turned off. I don't like the route that the tomtom creates on its own, so I'd really like some way of making my own. Please help.

The solution to this problem has been discussed a lot in this forum. It involves creating a custom menu. Try using the 'Search' function.

ok, so I figured out how to add the itinerary fuction to it, but when I tell it to run, it creates its own route again. Any suggestions?

you may have to explain in a little further detail. when you load an itinerary file, tomtom still calculates the route to each way point or destination you have placed in the itinerary.

Sounds like that's the issue. When you use the Google Maps trick to send a route to your TomTom, it isn't actually sending a route. It just sends a series of waypoints which represent key points along your route. So a 100 mile trip might only consist of 4 or 5 waypoints, but when you make the trip you might have to turn at 20 different interesections.

Those 4 or 5 waypoints get sent to your TomTom, and the GPS is then responsible for calculating all the required turns between them. So the resulting route may be a little different from the one you created on Google.

That's just the way it works. If you want to have more control over the route, edit the Itinerary yourself on your TomTom after you've uploaded it.

You may have to add more waypoints. The TomTom may calculate a different route between waypoints than Google does. So if waypoints are quite far apart, this can result in a very different route. Put in more waypoints to force the route you want.

Ask a Question