Hi..... again. :)

I am Dawn... I introduced myself here a little while ago and was given some great advice. Unfortunately, during the site crash, I was lost and so were my posts. I bought 3 Tomtom XL 340TMs for my kids for Christmas. I was going to have them all set up and ready to go, but that didn't happen. It turns out my kids couldn't wait 'til the morning to open their presents, so they all have them now. They are ecstatic and raring to get started.

I believe it was dhn that was so helpful... would it be possible to post that great start-up info for me again. We are in the process of making a back-up through Explorer for the first unit ( I did remember that much :))

Any help is appreciated.

The key thing was to make sure that each unit was registered with TomTom using a separate email address. And to make some note about which unit goes with each of the email addresses.

Last edited:
A different place for the backups is a good idea but seperate folders for the downloads isn't too hot, if all the maps are in a single place Home can manage what goes where and for which device.
As the maps are the same issue for each device you will only have suffer one long download for a map as Home can use the same data files for all three device, only the activation code is different - This can save some considerable time when updating maps - Mike

tomtom via180 connect to pc problem

kiaora everyone, new member , could someone help please, moved to australia from nz, recieved a tomtom via180 as a going away present, arrived in aus, downloaded and installed home2, but unit does not connect, cheers for any help.

The Via models use an interface called "MyTomTom" which is a web broswer style approach. The old Home_2 is of no use to you.
I hope your new device has got the Australian maps loaded as its not possible to purchase maps using MyTomTom at the current time - Mike

via180

hey mike
thank you for that info, would that be the reason i cant connect, can you suggest a solution or do i have to purchase a aussie model instead, i was told there is a later version of software, which one would suit my app, and where would go to download. thanks again mike.

Try a basic reset of your TomTom by holding the power button down until the device restarts with a drum roll then try connecting it to your PC - Mike

hey mike
thank you for that info, would that be the reason i cant connect, can you suggest a solution or do i have to purchase a aussie model instead, i was told there is a later version of software, which one would suit my app, and where would go to download. thanks again mike.

Your device has app 10.x so it won't connect to Home 2. You need "myTomtom" instead. go to www.tomtom.com/getstarted to download the myTomtom app.

Ask a Question