Hey Guys

How's it going. I just ordered a refurbished GO 510. It looks awesome, the bluetooth and iPod features really sold me, and the price I paid is way better than anything else I've been looking at (About $135 before shipping). I have been looking at reviews and such, and ran across your website and figured I would sign up.

Basically what I am here for is just some basic info. I'm VERY knowledgeable when it comes to computers and electronics, so figuring it out won't be hard, but at the same time, if anyone had any tips to get me started, like good settings to use, cool things to do with TomTom Home, etc.

Also, I live in Portland, OR. Does anyone know of any good POI's to use. I've been downloading some that I think are good ones, but any suggestions would be welcome.

Anyways, seems like you guys have a good community here. If anyone needs any help in the computer/web design/whatever area, let me know, I'd be glad to help.

-Pat

Welcome.....

Before anything else, make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup and ensure your hidden files/folders are showing.

Hello and welcome.
The best thing to do is make a backup of your unit when you receive it.
You may also want to update the firmware to the latest one using HOME 2.
HOME 2 can be downloaded here.
There are many sites for custom POI such as this one and POI factory.
My suggestion is to use the internal POI file from the latest North America map found on this thread.

Good luck

I think I have the newest home as I already downloaded it from the site the night I ordered the 510, just to check it out some.

Also thanks for the POI information, and the backup tip. I have read a couple threads on doing this before anything else. I think I'll make a couple just in case. My main computer is a Mac, BTW. I downloaded POIview I think is what it was called, it seems kinda cool. Any other softwares (Mac or windows, I have a few of each) that I should look into?

Oh and I bought the iPod cables for it as well, is that interface pretty nice, I've seen a couple screens but couldn't really tell.

Well I finally got my 510, man I love this thing. I went out and bought a 2GB SD Card and contacted them to get the Latest Map Guarantee and am installing it now. I'll post pictures of my install later.

Ask a Question