Help with Tom Tom ONE LE and adding an SD Card for additonal storage space

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom One LE
Hi folks I am new to these forums, so bear with me... I just bought a TT1 LE at Best Buy for 149.99.. I like this version as it had an SD Slot... I wanted to be able to expand the memory on the TT1 LE so I do some adding of Custom POIs etc. Well everytime I put in a 1 gb SD card made by Sandisk Ultra II it shuts down the TT1 LE and it shows me a graphic to take out the SD card.... Then it will reboot and work correctly. But when I try to add the SD card again it shuts down and shows the graphic again. Any clues? I did the paper clip reset and it still does the same thing.. I really need your help out there to get this working correctly.... Thanks for all your help Matt

There have been lots of posts about this scattered throughout the forum.

The SD card doesn't work as an extension of the internal memory, but rather as a substitute. So the card must contain both the operating system files and the map.

When you insert the card, the unit boots up from it and ignores the internal memory. It won't work as an add-on to the internal memory.

The easiest way is to use Windows Explorer (shut down that pesky Home program if it starts) and copy the contents first to a folder on your hard drive. Then insert the card in the TomTom. Explorer should now see the card like an external drive. Just copy the contents to the card.

With a 2 gb card, you will have all kinds of room. You can even purchase the North America or Western Europe maps in the future, as they are too large to fit in the internal memory.

I just got an LE also on Black Friday and I too have been trying to figure out how the SD card works. You are exactly right, the card replaces the internal memory so everything must be copied to the card for it to work. One neat thing about this is that there is an "instant" back up if the SD card gets corrupted, just pull it out and all the original programs will return.

I just got an LE also on Black Friday and I too have been trying to figure out how the SD card works. You are exactly right, the card replaces the internal memory so everything must be copied to the card for it to work. One neat thing about this is that there is an "instant" back up if the SD card gets corrupted, just pull it out and all the original programs will return.

Also backing up the SD card using a PC card reader is much faster than using the slow USB connection on the LE!

I'm both happy and sad to read this thread. I'm happy because I thought there was something wrong with my TT1 LE and sad because I was really hoping the sd card slot was an extension of the internal memory.

Ask a Question