Help with SD card DESPERATE!

That's my understanding .......even booting to the sd card, it'll use an internal map if it sees one there and not on the card
Missed me there. Our concern is what happens if there are maps on BOTH the internal and SD card. I believe it will preferentially grab the internal map, won't it?

Really doesn't matter to the OP, though. Unless he can get his unit connected and creating a valid ttgo.bif file, he probably wouldn't even be able to load new maps to it from Home. I do recall that Home should be responding to the insertion of a 'systemized' SD card when it's inserted into a card reader, though - providing the card reader doesn't have autoplay disabled - it should run Home due to the autorun file in the SD card root.

That's my understanding .......even booting to the sd card, it'll use an internal map if it sees one there and not on the card

Yes. If there's no map on the card it will use the one on the internal memory.

Our concern is what happens if there are maps on BOTH the internal and SD card. I believe it will preferentially grab the internal map, won't it?

It won't prefer one over the other. Both should appear in the "Switch maps" menu.
(Unless you meant which one will it choose FIRST? In which case I don't know! :lol:

So where do we stand, carson.jc?

1. You can now load your text files to the SD card and it will read them OK.
2. You reckon it *is* booting using the program from the card, but it's still using the map on the internal mem.

Is that is the situation now?

1. I can load text files onto SD card and device will read. Files were not 'read' until we loaded system onto card.
2. According to the boot screen, internal is boot. It doesn't matter to me, except there is some lag, and boot-time is slower.
3. No map on sdhc, so internal only shows in 'Manage Maps.' The maps on my backup are not up to date, and I have purchased the quarterly 'Map Update.' I am not certain of the terms, I hope it is a yearly subscription, and will expire.

I am quite pleased with the timely response and invaluable assistance and guidance from TT Forum Super Moderators. Thank you.

I believe the issue is USB port on device.

I am no longer 'Desperate,' and am content to live with the situation. Who knows, someday in the future, the USB may decide to resume PC connect.

One thing I am sorry about is posting with the word DESPARATE, misspelled, and in all caps as well.

Yes. If there's no map on the card it will use the one on the internal memory.

Our concern is what happens if there are maps on BOTH the internal and SD card. I believe it will preferentially grab the internal map, won't it?

It won't prefer one over the other. Both should appear in the "Switch maps" menu.
(Unless you meant which one will it choose FIRST? In which case I don't know! :lol:
I'd be curious to know what happens if someone with a valid ttgo.bif file plugs an SD card into a reader. Is it possible to update a map that way?!? I seem to recall that inserting an SD card into a reader used to bring up Home at least. I think the autorun.inf on the unit might not be duplicated on his SD card for some reason.

@carson.jc
Does your SD card have an autorun.inf file? If not, create one that looks like this with a text editor - then see what happens if you load it into your card reader:
---------------------------------

[autorun]
action=Run TomTom HOME
open=InstallTomTomHOME.exe
label=TomTom
icon=tomtom.ico
[DeviceInstall]
#This section is empty; autorun will not install device drivers to your PC.

Thanks, but please be patient. I am entering the virgin territory.

There is no autorun.inf file on card. Copied above and named as autorun.inf.
Placed on card. Reinserted w/card reader. AutoPlay came up with TomTom Logo at top of window. Three selections, Import photos, Open in Explorer, Use drive as Backup.
It does not open Home.

Opened Home, reinserted card. Same.

What should have happened?

I had hoped that by launching Home as part of the autorun that perhaps it would take a kinder interest in your card. Doesn't sound like it did that.

For the life of me, I can't recall what it is that was on the cards that was causing Home to wake up and tend to them.

Guys - it's been a while. Does anyone else remember incidents when we had people inserting SD cards into readers with bootable copies of the firmware and Home would respond to them due to the autorun on the card?

From a reply #41, a ttgo.bif was mentioned. I copied the one from my backup onto the card. Inserted card reader into PC and it opened Home. It wanted to update GO 720, add new voices and update maps. I let it update GO 720 (was it the application??).

It then said to insert into device, boot, shutdown, then return to card reader in PC. Home no longer autoplays. Home does not recognize card.

I guess that ttgo.bif is the ticket.

Excellent that you had the backup copy.

Yes - the TomTom itself kills any extant versions of ttgo.bif, no matter where located, upon power up, and rewrites a new one based upon the current configuration of the device. It would created the new one in internal memory instead of the SD card.

Now - big question. If you copy ttgo.bif to the SD card, does Home offer any updates to your pseudo 720 (the SD card)? I'm curious to see how the current version of Home behaves in this regard. It might be possible to have you working off the SD card to a greater extent even if you can never get past some of the content on the device (like the map, unfortunately).

Yes, with ttgo.bif on sdhc, Home opens and offers to update. I have done that as noted in #49. With update to application, it deleted ttgo.bif. Then card in PC was no longer recognized by Home, but worked OK in device.

Again, I copied ttgo.bif, onto card from backup. It works again with Home, as tested after several transfers between device and PC.

Home offers to update map as well. I did. I put map on card. Now device recognizes two maps. This is intersesting to me because maps are out of date, and no longer appear for sale on TT website. I suppose somewhere on sdhc card backup files, 'ttgo.bif' possibly, says I own outdated maps, and since they are not there, offers to put them there.

Yes, I have working device, booting from sdhc -or internal, with data combo of internal/sdhc. Note that device itself with or w/o card boot, remains unrecognized by PC. This leads me back to USB port on device as fault.

Sounds as though you have a unit that will do everything that you need it to do now, including any important updates, even if that means copying the ttgo.bif file to your SD card each time you need to do updates. A small price to pay to avoid binning the 720! I'm really pleased that this finally worked out.

Yes, a small price to pay, and great income of experience working with TT Forum Support.

Thanks to you and to all for the help!
TomTom Forum support is super.

Ask a Question