Help! Restore that went terribly wrong

I have a Tomtom One New Version that I got for Christmas. I set everything up about a week ago and added a lot of voices and stuff that I didn't end up needing so I wanted to remove them. I ended up removing some of the ones that I wanted by mistake, so I tried to do a restore. During the restore my notebook crashed on me. I turned on my Tomtom and it read "No Map" I have since replaced the Hard Drive in my notebook. I re-installed the software, but now there seems to be files missing from my Tomtom. Tomtom Home wants me to update files, but when I try it says that it cannot update because the file "lto.dat" is included with the item but should not be there. I have no voices, no maps, and no backup to restore anymore. Can someone tell me if there is another way to get this unit back to the way it was before everything went wrong?

locate your backup manually.
By default the location is:
My Documents/TomTom/HOME/backups
After you locate the backup, copy all the contents of it and paste it manually to your TomTom Drive replacing all the files.

I really wish that was an option, but as I said the hard drive that held all of that data is dead, so I no longer have a backup.

Sounds like you are going to need to perform a drastic measure.

My suggestion:
1) Delete ALL files left on your TomTom
2) Run TomTom's ClearFlash Tool: >>> Clear Flash Tool <<<
3) When you now plug in your totally wiped out TomTom, HOME will recognize that you do not have any TomTom Application installed and it will allow you download it.
4) Once you've downloaded the operating system (TomTom Application) then use HOME's "Latest Map Guarantee". HOME will recognize the version of TomTom that you have and allow you to download the maps that originally came with your unit.

You should be back to the same point as when you first got the unit.

Last edited:
Apologies, I miss the part of your hard drive being dead.
contact TT Support: 1 866 486 6866 (available 8:30AM to 7:00PM EST Mon - Fri and 9:00AM to 5:00PM EST Saturdays)
The should get your up and running.

I have sent an email to TomTom, but in the mean time I will try the flash tool and hopefully everything will be cool. I will report back in a little while and let you know what happens.

ok great let us know.
FYI: TT emails take longer to respond than a phone call. It took me more than a week to get a response from TT.

One more question if you don't mind. Will the flash utility flash the TomTom unit or is it just for SD cards?

One more question if you don't mind. Will the flash utility flash the TomTom unit or is it just for SD cards?

It is supposed to be for the SD cards, but I was having issues with unforeseen files on my internal memory and this tool helped me, too.

Remember, you'll need to delete the files you can see via Windows. The flash tools is for files you cannot see that are embedded on the unit's flash rom...

Any SD card you were using with this map, however, you should also run the flash tool on.

Last edited:
I deleted all of the files that I could see, then I ran the flash utility. I ran "Home" to do any available updates but "Home" says that my device is using the latest available map. It must keep a record on the TomTom server of what I had on my device previously. I should have copied my backup onto a cd...

OK, so you have ZERO files on your TomTom?

When there are no files on the TomTom, one of two things should happen with HOME

* It will recognize that you don't have the TomTom Application and let you download it

OR

* You'll have to click on the UPDATE MY ONE icon.....

I've done this many many many times with SD cards I've had files on and deleted and it worked great.

Once you have the TomTom Application installed, then you use LATEST MAP GUARANTEE.......

The KEY is that you must have NOTHING on the TomTom to follow these steps. If HOME sees files, it won't think you need updates...

Hard drives fail which is why I made a manual backup, also have one done by home, of my entire GO920 and I not only keep a copy on my hard drive but on a second computer, my hard drive at work and on a DVD. S*&( happens so keep multiple backups.

Ask a Question