Help Required

Hello all,

I am hoping to drive my children to the seaside this year, however, I have not long passed my driving test so am slightly nervous; I think a tom tom will be the answer to my prayers. Anyway, my question is - I have a nissan micra that for some strangely annoying reason has no cigarette lighter, I understand that tom tom's can be charged at home and may very well last 3 hours (this is fine for the seaside trip as I can charge it up when I get there). What I am hoping is that if I did shorter journeys (say 1 hour each way) could I turn the tom tom off when I got to my destination and still have enough battery life to get me home?

I'd hate to end out in Scotland.

Ooooh, I just thought of something; when I do get to my seaside accommodation it will not have a computer, can these plug chargers be plugged into the wall.

I am a serious technophobe so please, reply sloooowly.;)

Hello English Rose
I have a TomTom One XL and find my battery will last 3 hours. As for short journeys switch off at your destination then switch back on to get you home.
You can buy a charger that will plug in to a wall socket.
Here for example : http://www.morpethmobiles.co.uk/tomtom_mains_chargers.asp

Hope this helps and enjoy the trip to the seaside.

Boardboy

No power adapter in the car? I have never seen such a thing. It seems like most cars these days have 2 or 3 (or sometimes even more).

You could just add a 12V adapter in the car. The part costs next to nothing. If you can't install it yourself or know somebody who can, it takes so little time to install that it can't cost that much to have a repair shop install it.

Myself, if I was venturing off into unknown territory without good paper maps, I would want to ensure I had the power in my GPS to get there and back....not to mention that if you ever really need a cell phone when a problem comes up...I'd want a reliable source of power in case the phone was dead when it was really needed.

I, too, would guess that there is a socket somewhere in that vehicle. In the glovebox (whatever you english call it!!!) or in a center console or somewhere on the dash. Check your owner's manual or call the dealership. These days with all kinds of mp3 players and cell phones, most cars would come equipped to charge or power these things?????

Englishrose, I just looked at the web site for your car, and it shows that there is a 12v power adapter in your car, you just need to look for it, as was stated earlier. And this was on the lowest price car in the line. So if you have any upper model, it should also have one.

Ask a Question