Help me decide which TomTom!

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Hi all! I'm a newbie here and to the GPS world. I'm deciding between the TomTom ONE, the TomTom ONE 3rd Edition, and the TomTom XL. Once I figure it out I will let the hubby know which one to get me for Christmas :D . Forgive me and my silly questions, but I am really new to the world of GPS. I used the GPS Navigation program available from Verizon on my Razr the other day and now I want a real Navigation system in my truck (an '06 Tacoma). So here are my questions:

What is the difference between these 3 models?
Will any of these 3 models come with POIs? talking turn-by-turn directions?
Are TomToms ready to use straight from the box?

That's all I'll ask for now. In the meantime I will check around the forum.

10/19: I am now also considering the XL*S

Last edited:
My best friend just bought the One XL and absolutely loves it.... likes the bigger screen. I have the 910 and I think his screen is probably the same size as mine...

Interesting info. The ONEXL-S would be similar to the 720, right?

It depends on what you want. If you want text to speech, (which I recommend) I would go for the 720. The 910 also has text to speech but from experience, to mount the unit isn't user friendly compare to the 720.

XL*S...

(Check the TomTom Releases forum for more info). Yes, there's a new model called the XL*S. Except, replace the asterisk with a large dot.

Thre is speculation that a ONE XL-S is coming. The 'S' having Text-to-Speech and will be $50 more than the XL.

Perhaps you might consider waiting.

Link - http://www.gpsreview.net/tomtom-one-xl-s/

I just read about this today! Is the text-to-speech feature when it tells you something like "prepare to turn left ahead....turn left here"? If so, I really like that feature :) and will consider this as another contender. I'm still undecided though.....

Interesting info. The ONEXL-S would be similar to the 720, right?

It depends on what you want. If you want text to speech, (which I recommend) I would go for the 720. The 910 also has text to speech but from experience, to mount the unit isn't user friendly compare to the 720.

The 910 is out of my price range :(

Hi Brianna
If the budget is a little less I can understand if you take TT one or ONE XL.

I have GO 910 and GO 720. I have also used ONE and ONE XL.
If you drive with high speed and if it is not so many Streets to turn to. Then one and one xl is ok. The processor in them are a little slower so if you drive fast, the turns dont follow as fast as 910 or 720. But you can live with it.
Even if I have the "Best" I know that I dont always need it.

Text to Speech

I just read about this today! Is the text-to-speech feature when it tells you something like "prepare to turn left ahead....turn left here"? If so, I really like that feature :) and will consider this as another contender. I'm still undecided though.....

Others will correct me if I am wrong, but the text to speech is more specific than "In 200 yards, turn left." It is "In 200 yards, turn left onto Pine Street." My TomTom GO 710 has the "voices" that give the more general prompts.

The 910 is out of my price range :(

Brianna,

The 720 is currently $399 at Dell.com. I believe all TomTom's will say "Turn Left Ahead". The text to speech ones will say "Turn Left Ahead on ELM STREET". I just purchased a 720 for my wife and she really likes being able to play music through the car stereo and the ability to make phone calls from the TomTom. I think you will also appreciate a 4.3" screen, it really does make a difference. Hope this helps you with your decision!

Brianna,

The 720 is currently $399 at Dell.com. I believe all TomTom's will say "Turn Left Ahead". The text to speech ones will say "Turn Left Ahead on ELM STREET". I just purchased a 720 for my wife and she really likes being able to play music through the car stereo and the ability to make phone calls from the TomTom. I think you will also appreciate a 4.3" screen, it really does make a difference. Hope this helps you with your decision!

I agree, I first considered buying a refurbished ONE second edition and ended up going with the 720. Map-Share alone makes the extra cost for the 720 worth it.

PS - If you want to take advantage of the hands free calling option with the 720, I highly recommend checking TomTom's website to make sure your cell phone is compatible.

The biggest flaw of TomTom's Bluetooth devices compared to Garmin are that they only work with a limited number of cell phones.

My first Navigator was a TomTom Go300 which was driven by steam but had the advantage of being able to insert SD cards. All maps could be copied onto my computer and brought up to date when required by paying a reasonable amount.
I then swapped to a a Go850 which has turned out to be the biggest load of frustrating rubbish available. I bought when the map of Europe was free for life and brought up to date four times a year. The problem is it takes at least 9 hours to download the revised map. Often when I log onto My Drive I get the message "We are experiencing technical problems please try later". It often takes 20 to 30 minutes to log on to to a GPS signal meaning you can't move off until you know the route you are taking.
The maps may be updated 4 times a year but I often come across motorways and duel carriageways, particularly in Spain that have been built for years but are not on the mapping system.
Without doubt, the worst move I have made when 'upgrading' to a GO LIVE 850 - don't get any new model without making sure it satisfies your requirement, which is doubtful.

Ask a Question