Help! - i think i may have bricked my TomTom V3

OK - to cut the story short, my TomTom is frequently used and i've had it for about 11months. Just today, i decided to connect it to my computer and get the latest updates (i've never done this before). I backed up and saw three updates, and proceeded. It failed the first time. Tried again...failed. On the third attempt the updates were successfully applied.

Now heres where it went bad - there's a folder called "Australia" (maps), i made a local copy before playing around. I deleted one or two files by accident. Which happen to be poi.dat and faces.dat. Whenever i try copying them back i get an I/O error (i'll post a screen cap if needed).

Whenever i switch it on i get no maps found. Arrrg...knew i should of not played around with it. I've tried running scandisk on it to correct any errors but it fails half way through.

Oh and whenever i delete "faces.dat" it's replaced by a 0 byte file. I think this may been the HDD is corrupt?

What can i do? - my one doesn't come with a removal SD card either!

Last edited:
Any backups made?
if so restore the whole unit to the backup

Thanks for your reply. Yes, i've tried restoring it through TomTom Home, but it fails half way through with an error saying that it couldn't copy a file (it's a different file each time, and the restore progresses half way through, and at other times fails a quarter of the way).

What i've also tried is copying a random file (15MB) into the root dir, which also fails, error - 0x8007045D I/O error. I've tried it on XP, on another machine - same thing.

This leads me to believe the internal hard drive is failing or is about to? Damn :(

I'm going to try formatting it and reinstalling everything. So far i've left it formatting for about 20mins with it only progressing 20% or so... :|

Ask a Question