Hands free calling causes TomTom crash(Go 930)

TomTom Model(s)
Tomtom 930
I am wondering if anyone else is running into this problem. When I use my Go 930, it works fine, but when using the hands free calling for more than about five minutes, my Tomtom does a spontaneous reboot. I have no problem when I keep calls short, so it is only longer phone calls that cause the problem.

For phones, I am using a Palm Treo 680 with AT&T as my wireless carrier.

Yes, one of my complaints from day one. I finally disabled Bluetooth. It seemed to occur every time it was on battery, occasionally on car power. I don't remember now which phone I had last summer, and haven't bothered with pairing my Blackberry, which I think I remember from posts, isn't compatible anyway.

Yes, one of my complaints from day one. I finally disabled Bluetooth. It seemed to occur every time it was on battery, occasionally on car power. I don't remember now which phone I had last summer, and haven't bothered with pairing my Blackberry, which I think I remember from posts, isn't compatible anyway.

Depending on what your phone can handle, various features will or will not work. The Blackberry SHOULD have worked fine, as long as it is capable of pairing to a hands free unit of any kind. Getting data working with AT&T was a bit of a challenge, since AT&T uses the older Cingular Wireless settings for the data service. Tomtom has not figured out that AT&T these days does NOT use the same settings they had from AT&T(from before the merge with Cingular).

Nice, I also have a Palm Treo 680 from AT&T!

I thought I was the last person on the planet who hadn't yet dumped this device in the trash and bought an iPhone instead. Glad I'm not alone.

I got the Palm Treo 680 to work with my TomTom 930T, over Bluetooth. It pairs fine, but for voice calls only, not data.

As for voice, the Bluetooth volume is eerily quiet, compared with the TomTom's normal speech volume it makes when giving directions. Good luck hearing it over car noise! On the 680, you have to crank the volume up to 100%, which you can do ONLY during a Bluetooth call, and also crank the TomTom's volume up to 100%, which also you can do ONLY during a Bluetooth call. So, call your voicemail, let it play for a while, and use that time to find both volume controls and crank them both.

Here's a thread I made about Bluetooth until I learned the volume controls trick:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/15414-bluetooth-handsfree-call-too-quiet.html

I've never had the TomTom crash during a call. I'll either be done calling, or the phone hits a dead spot and drops connection anyway. I've never had it crash on me during a call (thank goodness, I'd probably be so mad I'd roll down the car window and throw the TomTom out).

As for data, I never did get it to successfully pair. There are two "modes" of data the CellularOne, er AT&T Wireless Services, er Cingular, er AT&T (again) network operates on. They are "WAP" mode and "ISP" mode. You have to try them both. I think AT&T flips a coin when signing you up for service! They are unclear themselves about all the crazy plans they have grandfathered in, so who knows what you'll get until you try both of the data modes.

Here's a post I made, which has all the configuration information I could research and remember, for both modes:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...etting-up-tomtom-go-930t-data-services-t.html

Scroll down to my post, which is the 4th down from the top. All the settings should be there. Good luck trying to enter the login script using the TomTom's touchscreen keyboard! You will need a lot of patience, trying to find all the punctuation and such.

My results:

Phone (by itself, not with the TomTom) getting on the Internet:

WAP mode = Works.
ISP mode = Doesn't connect.

Phone pairing with TomTom, over Bluetooth, for voice:

Works.

Phone pairing with TomTom, over Bluetooth, for data:

WAP mode = Doesn't connect.
ISP mode = Doesn't connect.

I could never succeed in getting the phone to pair for data. It makes the pairing over Bluetooth just fine, but when the TomTom tries to test the data connection, it just sits there, and doesn't connect. It just waits for a response that never comes. It will timeout after about a minute or so. Then, it gives up, shows an error message, and cancels the pairing.

Were you ever successful in getting your Palm Treo 680 to pair with your TomTom 930 for data? If so, I'd be very curious what AT&T plan you have!

I have this problem with a 730 and a BlackBerry Curve/T-mobile. It works fine for 5-10 minutes and then the 730 system crashes - rebotts.,

I had an interesting failure with Bluetooth today, don't know if it is related.

Turned on my GPS.

Attempted to call somebody on my cellphone.

While the call started ringing, at that time, the TomTom tried to make its Bluetooth connection. Since a call was already in progress, it got very confused.

I lost the sound in my phone, and the GPS locked up completely! It was unresponsive to any button press, even the power button.

The watchdog timer hit. I'm glad the TomTom was built with a watchdog! After about 10 seconds or so, of being completely locked up, the TomTom did a full, cold, reboot: it displayed the black TomTom screen with the red logo, played the drumming sound effect, showed the progress bar with a picture of a hard drive (strange, since the TomTom doesn't have one), and finally the legal disclaimer screen.

By that time, I had hung up the phone. The TomTom then paired normally. I then waited a little bit, to make sure it wasn't going to crash again, then made another call, and at that time, Bluetooth worked fine.

Strange. I don't think TomTom tested their software in the situation where it would try to pair with a Bluetooth phone that's already in the middle of trying to make a call.

Nice, I also have a Palm Treo 680 from AT&T!

I thought I was the last person on the planet who hadn't yet dumped this device in the trash and bought an iPhone instead. Glad I'm not alone.

I got the Palm Treo 680 to work with my TomTom 930T, over Bluetooth. It pairs fine, but for voice calls only, not data.

The trick to this is to use the Cingular, not AT&T settings for your data, and make sure you have the Tomtom as a trusted device in your Palm 680.

If you need more help, I posted a walkthrough of this months ago when I first got my 930(non-T version) that I can dig up for you if you want.

Krellan,
I just did the search and here is the link to my post on the subject(in case others find it useful):
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...f-treo-680-will-pair-920-930-a.html#post75034

For the service, I am using the unlimited data with 200 text message plan($20/month). As I mentioned in my setup(link above), you use the Cingular settings, not AT&T to get it working. Note that you MAY need to do a pin reset on your Tomtom as well as pulling the battery on your Treo 680(PalmOS really is a bit unstable and breaks in minor ways if left on for more than a few days).

When the Palm Pre is finally released for AT&T, I will do a walkthrough there as well.

As far as the crashing issues, I suspect it is because PalmOS is not able to handle both calls as well as data over bluetooth at the same time, so the Tomtom freaks out when the Bluetooth connection bombs(due to the phone).

Last edited:
Krellan,
I just did the search and here is the link to my post on the subject(in case others find it useful):
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...f-treo-680-will-pair-920-930-a.html#post75034

For the service, I am using the unlimited data with 200 text message plan($20/month). As I mentioned in my setup(link above), you use the Cingular settings, not AT&T to get it working. Note that you MAY need to do a pin reset on your Tomtom as well as pulling the battery on your Treo 680(PalmOS really is a bit unstable and breaks in minor ways if left on for more than a few days).

When the Palm Pre is finally released for AT&T, I will do a walkthrough there as well.

As far as the crashing issues, I suspect it is because PalmOS is not able to handle both calls as well as data over bluetooth at the same time, so the Tomtom freaks out when the Bluetooth connection bombs(due to the phone).

Are you using the ISP or the WAP settings?

That's about the same plan I have. Do you pay anything extra to enable the tethering option? Maybe my account isn't set up for tethering.

PalmOS sucks, you're right about that. Thinking of dumping the Palm and getting an iPhone, and using my Palm merely as a "little black book" for my addresses/appointments/memos/etc. (which the Palm is still rather good at).

Don't go iPhone, it isn't all it is cracked up to be. Wait on the Palm Pre(the way I am), or get something else.

I never had to select some ISP or WAP method, I just used the pre-defined script in the Tomtom for Cingular(Media Works).

Also, the PalmOS based phones NEED to have the battery pulled out and put back in from time to time because of OS garbage accumulation...basically, the OS doesn't do a good job of releasing memory or shutting down applications(not even sure it CAN close an app, it just sits in the background), so you have to pull the battery to do a clean boot.

Thanks.

I did the battery trick to reset the Palm 680. I also cleared the pairings from both the TomTom and the Palm, so they wouldn't remember each other. Then, I was able to follow your guide through from the beginning.

All worked well, until I got to 65% after choosing "Cingular (media works)". It wouldn't get past 65%.

I had earlier started the Palm's Web browser at the time, to wake up the data connection. I just loaded a page about 30 seconds ago, and it worked fine.

All of a sudden, in the Web browser, I see a box pop up from the Palm: "Network Response", containing text "Operation failed."

The TomTom tried to wait a few more seconds, then it gave up at 65% and went to the "Unable to set up your wireless data connection, do you want to try another phone model" screen.

Any luck on how to get past this?

Thanks!

That one shows up a few times, but it SHOULD get past the 65 percent, it just takes a while....

If that fails, do the battery reset, pin reset on the Tomtom, then before you attempt the next connection, use the web browser to wake up the network before you attempt the pairing process again.

Just make sure you are not transferring data while you try the Tomtom sync setup again.

That one shows up a few times, but it SHOULD get past the 65 percent, it just takes a while....

If that fails, do the battery reset, pin reset on the Tomtom, then before you attempt the next connection, use the web browser to wake up the network before you attempt the pairing process again.

Just make sure you are not transferring data while you try the Tomtom sync setup again.

Hmm. I'll try that, but how can it get past the 65% mark when the error message appears? The problem with the error message is that it cancels the entire process, and I haven't found a way to go back to the main percentage bar after the error happens.

I always just hit the message on the Palm to make it go away when it comes up, and there has been no problem with the Tomtom continuing the setup.

Now, you can tell it to accept the data not being set up with just the hands free, then go into the Tomtom under services to set up the wireless. Again, you may need to do both the battery trick on the Treo as well as doing a pin reset on the Tomtom, followed by using the web browser for a moment on the Treo prior to attempting to set up the data service.

I always just hit the message on the Palm to make it go away when it comes up, and there has been no problem with the Tomtom continuing the setup.

Now, you can tell it to accept the data not being set up with just the hands free, then go into the Tomtom under services to set up the wireless. Again, you may need to do both the battery trick on the Treo as well as doing a pin reset on the Tomtom, followed by using the web browser for a moment on the Treo prior to attempting to set up the data service.

Thanks for the tip. I still couldn't get it to work, even after a pin reset (GPS) and battery reset (Palm). I posted more about it here:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...f-treo-680-will-pair-920-930-a.html#post92085

I appreciate your help, but I don't know if there's anything more that I can do at this point.

I am wondering if anyone else is running into this problem. When I use my Go 930, it works fine, but when using the hands free calling for more than about five minutes, my Tomtom does a spontaneous reboot. I have no problem when I keep calls short, so it is only longer phone calls that cause the problem.

For phones, I am using a Palm Treo 680 with AT&T as my wireless carrier.

I think I am having the same problem.

Ask a Question