Going to Italy

I have a 540XXL and going to Italy this summer. With my western and central Europe maps not currently installed, how do I know if I have the current cameras and ZTLs installed? Do I go to an outside POI source and download? If so, do you suggest one? Should I wait to download right before I leave?
Thanks

Well, there are lots of sites on the internet to get free pois for Italy. Here's one:
Italy - GPS POI Files for Italy - GPS POI Data

You can download the poi categories from that site, save them somewhere on the computer, and when the time comes to install the Western_Europe map on your 540, you can then copy the saved pois to that map.

Other sites:
POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS
FREE TomTom Navigator Points of Interest
POIfriend.com: Free GPS POI (Point of Interest) Downloads, Maps & Community - Garmin TomTom (It's shutting down at the end of June)

Thank you!

Thanks for your speedy reply. Once the POIs are downloaded, is there a particular folder in the Western Europe map they are saved?

Were there any POIs that you found particularly useful on your trip to Italy?

They go directly into the specific map folder (Western_Europe, I guess). In fact, they **must** go into that map folder.

My 540 was basically a backup as the rental car had a built in Nav unit that was being relied upon by the drivers.

As you hunt arount the various sites, get a sense of what you might like to see or need and then go from there.

For example, I did download pharmacies in case we needed them. Just take some time and search.

Just remember, if you have too many categories showing on the map at one time, it'll slow down screen refreshes. More than maybe six or seven is pushing it.

Ask a Question