Go920 slow choppy map color issues

Hello.
I am total newb so please be gentle, ha ha.
I have been searching the forums for a while and have not found a definite answer to my issues. I hope someone can help me.

I had my TT Go920 for one and a half years. It has worked PERFECT until last week when an update came through and I started having satellite locking issues.
Doing a pin reset did not help at all so I decided to do a restore trough TT Home. My back up was from when I first bought the unit.
After doing the restore/back up I connected the TT to TT Home and asked for an update of app 8.351 and some quick fix and other items. Did that and I had no more satellite lock issues but now my maps are SLOW and really choppy.

This is what I am running:
TT Go920
App8.351 OS:315187
64MB RAM (free: 17.2MB)
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5120
Mp: 'North_America_2GB' v710.1584

Here are the issues I am experiencing:

-Maps will be slow and choppy while driving. Voices are right on queue but the maps will needs about 5-8 seconds to catch up when I make turns or pass streets.

-The landscape on the map will change colors randomly. From tan to white to green to blue for no reason at all.

-It has reseted 3 times in the last 4 days.

I have some questions:

I know I have a WAY old map, do you think that is affecting it since I have the newest app?

Will upgrading to the newest map fix the issues?

Should I go back to 8.350 app? How would I do that? (I am running an iMac by the way)

I really rely on my TT for work. I use it 4 days a week for a total of 5 hours a day. So you can Imagine how I feel when I don't have a fully functional TT.

I greatly appreciate any help.
Thank you in advanced.

How many poi categories do you have showing on the map. Too many cause the slow screen refresh. Usually no more than 4 or 5 max is best.

The map colour changing has been reported by others as well. It's inconsistent.

Have you tried a pin reset?

I only have 1 POI. I used to have 4 before. But even with no POI showing still slow and choppy.

The pin reset is just pressing the reset button at the bottom of the TT right? I did that with no luck.

Try this.....

Make a complete Explorer, not Home backup of the unit's contents. Reformat the internal drive (not quickformat). Use Explorer to restore the backup.

I will try that.
Explorer backup is basically copy the files that are inside my TT right?
I am on a mac, how would I format the TT and to what format? Thank you.

Formatting now>>>>>>>>>>:eek: I hope everything goes well. Once it finishes, I just copy the files I backed up on finder right?

ok It just finished and I have a new problem.
Now it only shows the TomTom and an SD card coming out of it with an red X :(

now what?

Sounds as if the TT can't find an application.

You did copy everything back?

Try this: delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents. Connect the unit to Home. It should detect an application is missing and offer one.

DL and install it.

Delete everything that is not in a folder including the files that show hidden?

Weid thing is that under TT Home I can operate my Go920 and it shows the map and all.

Last edited:
Ok I just did that. Home downloaded the application and installed it.
Home said it was restarting the unit and to tap "yes" if the tom tom asked for it. TT is sitting in a screen with a picture of a TT in a dock with a green background. It never asked me to connect to the computer.
Home keeps showing that screen saying is restarting device and gives me an option to cancel only.

This is the current state.
TT does not seem to restart normally. It used to just ask if I wanted to connect to computer and now it just connects to it automatically.
TT Home keeps asking me to update my application but when it goes to look for the updates it says is up to date.

If I take TT out of the dock correctly and then turn it off and on, it goes back to that screen with the SD card with the red X on it.

Delete the loose files in the unit. Reset the unit. Shut doown Home. Connect the unit to the computer/ Start it up. Start Home.

Followed your steps. Home asks me to update my application. It finds the update and it is application version 7.481
Should I download it and Install it?

BTW Thank you for helping through all of this.

Yes........now understand this. Once you do, go through the process again in shutting the unit, shutting Home and connecting to Home again. This time, you should get offered a newer application. It may offer 8.351 automatically or it may offer 8.0 or something. In other words, you need to keep doing this until you have been offered application 8.351 and have dl and installed it.

Sorry for the hassle.

Ok thank you. I will try this and post the results. I am formatting the TT again right now to see if that helped.

There is a faster way to get to 8.351.

Click on this link.

Download the compressed .cab file for the application. Use Mac's Stuffit to extract all the files/folders to your unit.

That'll get you application 8.351 right away. Then copy back your map folder and see how things are.

The 7,481 version is vital as a step in the update process as it contains files not included within the later versions, this is why Home downloads this first prior to a second/ thired update as necessary to bring the device fully up to date. Going straight to 8,351 isn't really a good idea as it could mess up the device.

I updated a brand new 730 only yesterday from 8,01 to 8,351 and it took two updates to get to the current 8,351, then I used LMG (which worked) and had to manually unpack the RDS related files as they were showing as 0KB, the update process is becoming a bit of a mine field these days, although as long as you have a backup prior to messing around with the TT Home software and the PC connection everything is recoverable - Mike

I tried backing up my TT to see what it would happen and I get the following error:

Note: some volumes (for example, a storage card) that were present during a previous backup are not currently present on your navigation device, and cannot be backed up or restored.

I have never had a storage card in the TT at all.

Thank you for the link for the quick 8.351 app install but Stuffit costs $80 dollars? wow. I will do the slow updates I think.

Also, once the TT was formatted and I copied all the files I had in the explorer back up I had. I can operate my go on the HOME application and it says it has app:8.351
Do you think my issues here is something else?

Ask a Question