Go920 slow choppy map color issues

Oh Man! I think i just messed up my TT even more.
Nothing I am doing is helping.
I installed 7.481 and then reset, plug back to home and it keeps asking for an update but finds nothing.
Am I really going to need to buy a new TT? I am freaking out here.

Tomtom's use fat32 - when you initialized with your mac did you specify "MS-DOS" as the file system.

If you didn't, you'll get the symptoms you're mentioning.

Tomtom's use fat32 - when you initialized with your mac did you specify "MS-DOS" as the file system.

If you didn't, you'll get the symptoms you're mentioning.

I did. I also opened my bootcamp boot with vista and did a format of the TT with Fat32

Maybe I will try it again.

With such an old map, you're probably best of with an older application version. Most of the new features in later applications need later maps.

1) backup everything per this link
2) format the tomtom as MS-DOS/fat32
3) copy your North_America and Western_Europe folders from the backup to the Tomtom
4) use either stuffit, or winrar on your vista boot to extract the contents of this file onto the Tomtom.
5) use HOME to install your favorite computer voice, quickgpsfix, and mapshare. Don't let HOME update your application
6) disconnect properly and you should be fine

With such an old map, you're probably best of with an older application version. Most of the new features in later applications need later maps.

1) backup everything per this link
2) format the tomtom as MS-DOS/fat32
3) copy your North_America and Western_Europe folders from the backup to the Tomtom
4) use either stuffit, or winrar on your vista boot to extract the contents of this file onto the Tomtom.
5) use HOME to install your favorite computer voice, quickgpsfix, and mapshare. Don't let HOME update your application
6) disconnect properly and you should be fine

I tried this but with no luck.

Tom tom will not get past the SD card with a flashing red X.
I can operate the TT with HOME "Operate my go"
It was working until I formatted the TT to re install everything. Something went wrong when I formatted I think.
The tomtom does not ask me to connect to the computer, but it connects automatically.
Also, if TT is off and I press the power button for longer than 5 seconds I get a screen with all of the TT information. Size of HD, bluetooth mac address etc...

One thing I forgot to mention - make sure you try a pin reset after each disconnect from Tomtom HOME. The diagnostic steps we mention often require a pin reset to take effect.

Sounds like either a corrupted bootloader or a hardware fault.

Is your device under warranty? If so, have Tomtom warranty-swap it.

If not under warranty, there are a few workarounds to try:
1) if the internal memory is wearing out, try using an SD card, and doing all the map copying and file extraction mentioned earlier to the SD drive instead of the Tomtom drive. Then format the internal to not confuse the Tomtom, and see if it starts up from the SD
2) If the above doesn't work you can try a bootloader upgrade. This may void a warranty and could permanently damage a Tomtom, but in your case it can't make things worse. Try using winrar to extract the files in this link to an SD and stick the SD in the Tomtom. If the Tomotm gets past the X and shows no maps found, then the bootloader upgrade was a success. If successful, redo the format/restore steps in my prior post as the new bootloader will survive the format.

Last edited:
One more thing.
When i did the format I clicked on the first line of the tomtom under the devices in this screen.
fvxp9h.gif

If you noticed the TT website showed to format the part that said "tomtom" I formatted the part that said "241.6MB TomTom one.." although mine did not exactly said that since mine is a go.
Could that be a problem?

Ok I think I am giving up. TomTom is for sale. I spent several days with no luck. Time for a new one. Thank you all for this amazing help and concern. I will stay around on the forums since I just bought a new Go630 to replace the faulty unit I have now :(

Yup - good chance something just wore out on your old device. You mentioned the weird colors, it's possibly a sign that something broke before you formatted.

Don't forget to use your latest map guarantee on the 630, you should get upgraded to map 835. The map is a huge improvement.

This has been a totally frustrating thread for me in that you should not be able to brick a TT unit just by doing an update. Even if internal memory is shot, you should be able to run the app and maps from a sdhc card.

I apologize to the OP for not providing better information. Please use Finder to back up the contents of the 630.

Yup - good chance something just wore out on your old device. You mentioned the weird colors, it's possibly a sign that something broke before you formatted.

Don't forget to use your latest map guarantee on the 630, you should get upgraded to map 835. The map is a huge improvement.

Thank you. I already updated to the 835 map. Took 2 hours to fully download but is all god now.

This has been a totally frustrating thread for me in that you should not be able to brick a TT unit just by doing an update. Even if internal memory is shot, you should be able to run the app and maps from a sdhc card.

I apologize to the OP for not providing better information. Please use Finder to back up the contents of the 630.
Thank you for your help. We tried hard to revive it. Maybe the unit was just on its way out. No problem.
I did a Finder and an Explorer back up of the unit when new. Also another one right after the 835 maps.
This 630 should last for a while. I bought a warranty to protect the device from anything, even if I drop it accidentally they will give me a brand new one at the store I bought it. 2 year warranty.:cool:

I purchased another SD card. Installed the latest app on it and BAM! It worked. Now I need to get the maps since i deleted them by accident.
Thank you all for the help.

Good to know - the internal memory's probably worn out. If that's the only thing bad, then using an SD will serve as a long-term workaround.

To put your maps back, just copy the North America and Western Europe folders from your earlier backup back onto the SD.

MVL, I've been paying more attention to the OP's issue since you mentioned flash memory can "wear out". I've done some searching and can't find any other mention of similar issues from other pnd manufacturers. Is it a TomTom specific issue perhaps? There's a lot of old pnd's floating around and still usable flash memory after several years. You might be correct in guessing it's failed memory, but I'm not totally convinced yet. According to what I read, the current life expectancy of flash memory is about 10 years. The newest tech may extend that to 100 years more or less.

I use my TT 5 days a week. In the constant AZ heat. Turn it on and off every 10-15 minutes. Maybe that caused it to fail.

The 720 is a 2007 model, so I expect it uses "old tech", from here it's reported to be a 100,000 write shelf life.

I'm seeing lots of Tomtom devices posting 2-3 year flash failures, maybe Tomtom's using a cheaper vendor than others, or maybe their OS is write-happy and other manufacturer OS's aren't.

Called TT support and they were kind enough to give me a free North America Map. Downloading as we speak. I had the 710 map and this one is 815. really nice!

Whilst the map they have given you will get you up and running it is at least 9 months out of date - Mike

815 is an IQroutes2 map. So it'll be a major upgrade in terms of directions quality.

Ask a Question