go920 in Toronto ON

This week I finally have bought go920 after Future Shop reduced them to C$350 and today had a chance to test it. Not sure what the hell TomTom (or TeleAtlas) has done with the maps, but finding address in Toronto became quite a problem (at least for me). I used old go910 before with some v6 maps and it was quite satisfactory. But the "new" v710 maps for some reason cannot find North York streets if I set city as Toronto. It's just ridiculous, because North York became a part of Toronto in 1988 (as I remember). Besides, v6 maps "new" about the new municipality boundaries, but newer maps were completely oblivious about this. ANd this is not the only example, Railside Rd was always in Toronto and can be found selected as destination in v6 maps, but not in v710. Has somebody in Toronto, ON noticed this or I'm missing something? I'd appreciate any help, because, sadly, but as for now, I'm considering returning 920 back to store. Of course there is an option to use maps update code, but I'm not sure that v8 maps are better than v7 (which were worse than v6).

Don't know what to tell you,but if you've bought it within 30 days call support for the newest MAP "Map of North America v8.15" ,even if you plan on taking it back its worth a try.I notice there are two available with the same version number but different size(mb),so confirm which is the best for you.I do remember someone linking to where you can check the contents of a map and it showed several updates/improvements to the map I'm using.I will look to see if I can find it for you.

Last edited:
This week I finally have bought go920 after Future Shop reduced them to C$350 and today had a chance to test it. Not sure what the hell TomTom (or TeleAtlas) has done with the maps, but finding address in Toronto became quite a problem (at least for me). I used old go910 before with some v6 maps and it was quite satisfactory. But the "new" v710 maps for some reason cannot find North York streets if I set city as Toronto. It's just ridiculous, because North York became a part of Toronto in 1988 (as I remember). Besides, v6 maps "new" about the new municipality boundaries, but newer maps were completely oblivious about this. ANd this is not the only example, Railside Rd was always in Toronto and can be found selected as destination in v6 maps, but not in v710. Has somebody in Toronto, ON noticed this or I'm missing something? I'd appreciate any help, because, sadly, but as for now, I'm considering returning 920 back to store. Of course there is an option to use maps update code, but I'm not sure that v8 maps are better than v7 (which were worse than v6).

As of 7.20, I think, the NA map for the Metro Toronto area would find (formerly) suburban streets in the city of Toronto, as it should. As has been pointed out to you, you are eligible for the latest map guarantee which is 8.15

BUT, you will not be offered any v8 maps until you update your firmware to Navcore 8.

Before doing any of that, however, make a full backup of your unit using Explorer, not Home. Ensure hidden folders/files are showing.

After obtaining the newest firmware and map, make another fll backup to a different location on your computer.

Use Google Maps to find your address
+ if you can't, there is high chance that your Tomtom can't also
+ if you can, there is high chance that your Tomtom can also

As of 7.20, I think, the NA map for the Metro Toronto area would find (formerly) suburban streets in the city of Toronto, as it should. As has been pointed out to you, you are eligible for the latest map guarantee which is 8.15

BUT, you will not be offered any v8 maps until you update your firmware to Navcore 8.

Before doing any of that, however, make a full backup of your unit using Explorer, not Home. Ensure hidden folders/files are showing.

After obtaining the newest firmware and map, make another fll backup to a different location on your computer.
When I connect TomTom to Home application, the only available firmware upgrade is the next Navcore v7 update, but not Navcore 8. How could I get it? v8.15 maps are available for download and installation, however, after they are installed with Navcore v7, I cannot use them (the only available map is Guam now). If there are any link to Navcore 8 I can use without Home application?

Home application updates are sequential in nature.

You have to update from 7.221 to 7.481 and THEN go through the procees again and, this time, you should be offered 8.3 to download.

As you pointed out, until 8.3 is installed, your unit won't recognize 8.15 maps.

Re: Metro Toronto and other

I could not agree more. For the first time I tried my TomTom 730 out in Toronto. When I eventually found the streets after much trial and error, the routes chosen were just plain goofy (turn left when my destination was right). TomTom appears to have significant difficulty with its geography (knowing exactly which municipality or city, has the street). So far my new unit has been less than stellar. Many streets in Lindsay Ontario do not appear but are found on other units. When I tried to add a Lindsay street on the TeleAtlas website, Peterborough appeared as the municipality (it's not). I'm not sure if the competition is any better but TomTom's knowledge of Canadian locales is mediocre at best. I would speculate a major weakness are the TeleAtlas maps.

dhn,
Thanks a lot for your help. I is exactly 2 steps firmware upgraded (not sure why though). I was able to upgrade to 8.15 maps (needed to install European maps to 8GB SD card) and (ta-da!) my maps became as as good as old v7 maps :) (I'm still not sure what TomTom did with v710 maps in Canada).

mcat0,
I'd probably agree, that NA maps are not the strongest point of TomTom unfortunately - pity, I like the device as hardware.

I could not agree more. For the first time I tried my TomTom 730 out in Toronto. When I eventually found the streets after much trial and error, the routes chosen were just plain goofy (turn left when my destination was right). TomTom appears to have significant difficulty with its geography (knowing exactly which municipality or city, has the street). So far my new unit has been less than stellar. Many streets in Lindsay Ontario do not appear but are found on other units. When I tried to add a Lindsay street on the TeleAtlas website, Peterborough appeared as the municipality (it's not). I'm not sure if the competition is any better but TomTom's knowledge of Canadian locales is mediocre at best. I would speculate a major weakness are the TeleAtlas maps.

I thought the Canada map suppliers for TT is DTMI Spatial!

I thought the Canada map suppliers for TT is DTMI Spatial!

Never heard of them although I am far from knowledgeable on this matter. Where did you get this info so I can try to know more on this subject?

I have watched a documentary that explained how TeleAtlas goes about making its own maps with their well equipped trucks. I somewhat took for granted TA got some of their maps from third party in areas they have yet to cover. In Quebec, I have played around with some very nicely detailed maps that were not ?road? maps but contained lots of terrain data. I could even see an insignificant brook on an agricultural land that used to be property of a great-uncle in a remote rural area. In my early TT days, I used to dream about making use of those maps on my TT but now know about the proprietary encrypted aspect of TT's maps. There's only the overlay possibility but it is rather unwieldly and time consuming.

Never heard of them although I am far from knowledgeable on this matter. Where did you get this info so I can try to know more on this subject?
On Google maps you often get multiple ?s. I've seen DTMI often on Southern Ontario maps.
Open Google maps and drag horizontally around the globe and you will see at least five additional changing names.

Ask a Question