Go730 - No Sound Except Speakerphone After Map Update

TomTom Model(s)
Go730
I have a Go 730. All was well until I purchased a map update. Since that time, voices have not worked. It can't be the speaker itself since my speakerphone works through the device.

I am using a computer voice. (Susan - default voice) - installed on an external memory card

Perhaps it is related to memory space. I am down to 4 megs free on the internal memory. Any and all advise is welcomed. Thank you in advance!

1. Try a pin reset and see if that helps.

Also, it's strange that you would only have 4 megs free on the internal. What map is there? What is the size of the sdhc card in your unit (it's not a sd card, is it)?

I'd also suggest you use Explorer and 1) move your map folder to the sdhc card and 2) move the LoquendoTTS folder from the sdhc card to internal.

Before making any moves between internal and external and vice versa, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of the contents of internal and a second backup of the sdhc card (to a different computer location). See here:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/

2. And also make sure when you navigate to a destination (street and address) that in the next screen you have a specific state selected, not the generic USA symbol.

So, in summary:
Try step 1 above
And confirm step 2

Then the backups
Then the moving of folders.

1. Try a pin reset and see if that helps.

Also, it's strange that you would only have 4 megs free on the internal. What map is there? What is the size of the sdhc card in your unit (it's not a sd card, is it)?

I'd also suggest you use Explorer and 1) move your map folder to the sdhc card and 2) move the LoquendoTTS folder from the sdhc card to internal.

Before making any moves between internal and external and vice versa, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of the contents of internal and a second backup of the sdhc card (to a different computer location). See here:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/

2. And also make sure when you navigate to a destination (street and address) that in the next screen you have a specific state selected, not the generic USA symbol.

So, in summary:
Try step 1 above
And confirm step 2

Then the backups
Then the moving of folders.

I have done a pin reset with no change. (I'll try it again, however.)
It's a 2 GB SD card I've been using successfully for at least 3 years.

If, after backing up, I manually move files / folders, how will the device know where to find them?

Thank you, I am reading the instructions from your link and then backing up.

Hmm... has your Susan voice been on the SD card for long? I'm wondering if the device is unable to cope with the voice on the SD card. It's not something we've seen done unless the entire system is on SD (it will boot from SD if that happens).

I'm with dhn on this one. If possible, it would be good to keep the North America map out on the SD card, leaving all else stored on internal if possible.

Another thing to check, since you're so low on memory, and we don't know what all you've stored on the SD and what's on internal --- any chance Home has duplicated folders such that they exist on both internal and SD? We've seen that happen after a manual move of folders that gets Home confused once in a while.

Hmm... has your Susan voice been on the SD card for long? I'm wondering if the device is unable to cope with the voice on the SD card. It's not something we've seen done unless the entire system is on SD (it will boot from SD if that happens).

I'm with dhn on this one. If possible, it would be good to keep the North America map out on the SD card, leaving all else stored on internal if possible.

Another thing to check, since you're so low on memory, and we don't know what all you've stored on the SD and what's on internal --- any chance Home has duplicated folders such that they exist on both internal and SD? We've seen that happen after a manual move of folders that gets Home confused once in a while.

Yes, I do see the LoquendoTTS folder in both places. I think I am going ot install the other available voice shown online, delete Susan, and reinstall to see if that fixes it.

I was so low on disc space that in order to install the new map I had to delete .doc files under Licenses.

You don't need the Loquendo on the sdhc card AND on internal. I'd remove from the sdhc card.

Make the backups first. I'd prefer you going through the instructions I set out prior to doing anything else.

OK, Backup complete. I'll delete Loquendo from the SD card and proceed with your instructions.

Yes. Place that folder on the SD card, and while you're at it, place the folders called "maps" there as well. That's where it will eventually wind up anyway.

Files transferred. rebooting device - I hear drums for the 1st time in a long time! And, I have sound again!

Thank you for your prompt and efficient assistance!!

Glad we could help. On the whole, you'll find that many of the moderators here prefer just exactly the setup you have now, with map data on the SD, and all else on internal.

Now that you have this configuration working, it would probably be a good idea (sorry, again!) to make a backup of your unit -- internal contents in one folder, SD contents in another.

Ask a Question