GO720 Voice Choppy Breaks-up Stutters

Can anyone help with the real reason behind the voice brek-up issue in the 720? After contacting TT, they emailed me a long procedure that basically walks you through a manual back-up and reset. You skip copying over the voice files (loqu something) then update the device and add a new voice. Well, all was fine for the first afternoon, then right back to the voice breaking up so bad it was hardly usable. What really causes it? How can it be stopped (before I throw this thing out the window) ??? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

If you have in-depth info, email is fine.

My guess is that it's a hardware problem. I had a one XL-S that would always stutter. I had to send it in for repair for an unrelated reason. I got back an XL-S with a different serial number, but the same Application version running on it and it has never stuttered. My guess is that the one XL-S I recieved had slightly different hardware than the one I sent in.

EricL, it's possible the newer unit had an upgraded processor, or maybe you had a genuine hardware defect, but all units having the same problem after the app upgrade sounds suspiciously like a software performance problem. Either the ttnav application or Loquenda (the text-to-speech engine that TomTom uses) probably requires more processing power than the unit can provide, so instead of smooth speech you get this stutter problem that happens every time the kernel switches the active process.

Some of the threads here also complain about jerky map movements; that's another symptom of the same problem (performance).

Ask a Question