Go Live 1000 Window Mount - Safety

Hi All,
Having owned 2 of the Go Live 1000's (one for wife and myself) I have found that the window mount could of been designed a lot better.
In both cases when driving along the mount will not hold the unit in place, dropping down and having to be lifted back up to be viewed.
When the unit is left in the car over night, when found in the morning will be dropped as far down as it can. (My Go 720 mount stayed in place forever).
My wife was able to lower hers down to the dash which stops it from dropping however due to the shape of the family car and the long sloping window my arms would not be long enough to reach. (Hi)

In my view this is a safety issue. I don't always use voice directions and I glance at the GPS to see where I am going. Having to adjust the Unit to see it can be distracting. (before we get into a war of when to adjust, I only do it on a straight piece of road with no on-coming traffic).

I am waiting for a reply from TomTom, but on previous issues with them I will be waiting.

All the best. I hope they sort out the other issues as well.

Interesting.....

some users of that model (and mount) report the mount is very stiff but indeed there have been reports of 'droop' by some users.

You could try CS and ask for a replacement. You never know?

NZ 0800 450 973

Last edited:
I wrote the following a while back and whilst its not a true answer to your droopy mount it should offer you some idea as to how to get in to the mount and stick some silver foil to the existing ball before tightening everything back up, this will increase the pressure on the "ball" and discourage it from drooping. I would also checkthe security of the four Philips head screws that secure the mount shoe to the collar that sits around the "ball" if any of these haven't been fully secured the mount will have inadequate friction to stay upright, simple job to tighten though.

That said I would try TT CS for a replacement mount, out of interest how warm is it where you located these days +25 Deg C or higher?

Anyhow, here is how to convert the Go-1000 mount to dash mount (Brodit/ Proclip) at minimal cost:

All thats needed is a Brodit Pro-Clip to suit your car and the Brodit "Ball" intended for use with the iPhone car kit, a torx size 5 screwdriver and a small Philips screw driver.

Start by removing the two size 5 Torx screws from the back cover of the Go-1000 mounting shoe:

With both screws removed which can be fiddly as they get held in place due to the magnets but they do come out. Using nothing more than your thumb nails part the two sections of the mount:

With the front cover removed you can also remove the large magnet, this is handy to stop those little screws from rolling around on the table and getting lost!

The rear section of the mount shoe is next to remove, using the small Philips head screwdriver simply release the four screws that hold it in place:

Push the black "collar" back towards the windscreen sucker to reveal access to the translucent ball cover:

Pull the translucent ball cover off the windscreen mount:

Finally pull the black collar off the ball, note this can be a little stiff but will come off with gentle force:

Now you start the process of rebuilding your mount on to the Brodit Ball:

First slide the black collar over the "ball":

Next is the translucent ball cover which is pushed in to place, look at the next photograph before pushing this part in to place:

Take care to make sure the keyway is in the correct position, looking at the picture you can see the small notch in the translucent ball cover at the six o' clock position, if you don't get this notch and key-way correct the mount will be floppy when built up:

Re-fit the rear portion of the mount shoe using the four Philips head screws, these need to be tight:

Fit the main magnet into the front cover before snapping the front portion of the mounting shoe back in position, once secure re-fit the two size 5 Torx screws in the rear of the holder:

Fit the Pro-Clip/ Brodit 1K mount in to your car, and fit the power cable supplied with the device to the mount, note in my installation the power cable is routed out of sight through the airvent which makes for a very neat installation devoid of cables all over the inside of the car:

Finally pop the unit on the mount and away you go:

Mike

Ask a Question