Go 920t

BE AWARE DO NOT BUY TomTom !
I have purchased a TomTom 920T from Ebay. Brand new unit. TomTom refuses to honor the unit warranty and refuses to honor "always up to date map", because the seller is not an authorized TomTom retailer. There is not any reference in their legal document http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/legal/lw/LW- NEW/LW(US)-English 2007 FINAL.pdfto sugest their claim.
Section 8 in the document states only about warranty transfer.

Last edited:
While I agree that you should buy from an authorized reseller I think I'd make TT show me where it states in writing on some official document that the warranty and latest map guarantee will not be honored if not purchased from an authorized reseller. I know a lot of companies have that statement in their documentation.

I don't think companies can limit you to certain authorized retailers in order to receive warranty support. I would check with your local BBB and see if they have some information. Also, as already said, demand to see in writing the tomtom warranty information and have them explain to you how your purchase would cause it to be excluded.

I can kind of see their side of it though. I mean, whoever you purchased it from on ebay had to have purchased it from SOMEWHERE. And warranty takes effect from date of purchase and is non-transferrable, so if this was some joe schmoe that went out and bought a unit, never used it and then resold it on ebay 3 months later, why should tomtom honor that warrant?

There is new and then there is Brand new. Brand new could be defined as never having had the serial number registered. If the unit has been registered with TomTom, then in thier eyes it is not new, the warentee and all the guarentees start from the time of registration.

Ask a Question