Go 910 Problems

TomTom Model(s)
Go910
I love my trusty Go 910, so when it died, i bought another, which had Western europe maps on it, but when i associate it with my HOME account, none of the maps are appearing there, and its says at the bottom that the attached unit is a Go 710. I have tried numerous backup restore attempts with no joy, any ideas out there ?

If It's only got Western Europe maps on it, maybe it *is* just a Go710?

Have you tried entering the first two digits of the serial number in the tool here?

The satnav unit itself says its a go 910 on LCD Screen, and it has Western europe, USA/Canada/ Australia/New Zealand and Canary Islands on it, but when i connect to PC TomTom home only shows Australia and New zealand, and states that the unit is a go 710. The Serial Number on the base of the unit has worn away.

Connect to Home. One menu option is System Information. One of the rows near the top is Device ID (MUID). That shows the serial number.

Yup. Starting with V5, that wasn't ever a 910, and the 510/710 models had FAR less memory available. The 910 had a 20GB hard drive. The 510/710 are limited to a 2GB SD card. I don't suppose the seller will help? If not, be sure your eBay feedback is appropriate to the situation!

This is reply from ebay seller:

Seller's message:
"Your reason for return is because tomtom says its a go 710 yes? right let me explain the unit is a go910 why because it has a 20gb hard drive inside with the maps on.the hard drive is what make this version a go910 nothing else. at some stage in the past the unit has had its motherboard replaced which does not effect the g0910 status (all motherboards are the same in this go range )it will just show as a g0710 on tomtom home but it is a go910 the go710 is only a 2gb sd card unit with maps on do you know understand that your unit is infact a go910 you can see by my feedback I know about tomtoms I disagree with poor effort on my part you have not even used ebays message system to contact myself just opened a case which effects my ratings?and fees. if you want to return item you can no problem but it is a go910 hard drive unit and will be resold the same Regards Steve "

Does his explanation make any sense?

Let's start from the beginning.

As dhn says, you must associate this unit with a new email address, and should not use your old email with Home when attaching this unit. Home remembers your old serial number + your old email = your account and device.

Second, when hooked up to your PC, please review the size of the device under My Computer.

Next, understand that you can NOT load your old maps from your previous unit onto this one. Maps are keyed by serial number to specific units. Any attempt to restore your old maps to your 'new 910' will fail, and if you have overwritten maps that were already on this 'new 910' in the process, I certainly do hope you have backed this unit up first!

The explanation you have been given actually does make sense. The serial number is embedded in the board's flash memory. It is entirely possible that someone has transplanted a 710 board into a 910 when the 910 board failed. This would cause only confusion for us here, not a problem for you. The seller is correct that the boards are the same -- EXCEPT for the inertial sensor that guides you when you are out of satellite range (in tunnels, etc.). That piece would not be installed on a 710. Not a huge deal, but be aware of it.

So please answer those questions above. I am concerned that you could have overwritten the maps already on the unit without a backup of the unit -- and that would be a major problem.

Ask a Question