GO 730 not recognized by computer

TomTom Model(s)
Via 120 GO 730
Hello all,

My Go 730 has a strange problem where it is not recognised at all by my computer.

The unit works and charges fine no problem. When I connect it to my computer, the unit asks if I would like to connect which I select yes, and then the image of it sitting in the dock is displayed but unfortunately that is all that happens.

The PC does not show that new hardware is connected, nothing appears in My Computer or the device manager, and Home 2 says no device connected.

I've tried charging the unit fully and then connecting, i've tried resetting the device using a paperclip, tried using different USB ports, tried using a different PC altogether, i've even tried installing firmware onto a SD card and connecting after it has started up all to no avail.

I'm using the base dock that was supplied with the unit.

My computer runs Windows 7 64bit.

Any help is hugely appreciated, I don't want to give up on this unit!

Many Thanks.

Try using a normal USB to mini USB cable, instead of the dock.

I still have a Go720 and after many years of service the wiring to the socket inside the dock finally failed, just before Christmas.
Two wires in the cable do the power and the other two do the data connection so it's very possible one of the data wires has snapped.

@halfpv2sq
You might also want to press the reset pin in the bottom of your 720 (gently) for a few seconds with the end of a paper clip or similar. Then power the device up with the cable connected to the PC.

My 720 used to do this as well ... something goes amiss with the USB negotiation and the device type isn't recognized, and the reset would resolve it.

Might help, might not, but it's an easy thing to try.

You might also want to press the reset pin in the bottom of your 720 (gently) for a few seconds with the end of a paper clip or similar. Then power the device up with the cable connected to the PC.

I've tried this a few times now, unfortunately it doesn't help. I don't even get a device not recognised error message in Windows, this thing seems totally invisible to Windows...

Try using a normal USB to mini USB cable, instead of the dock.

OK, I'll try and get hold of a lead and give it a go. Thing is though, we do have two docks in the house and I've tried both of them. I find it unlikely that both docks are faulty but you never know!

Thanks for the replies and help!

Have seen some 7/64 installations where the drive (aka the TomTom) actually had to be enabled in disk management. Try this:

Right-click the "Computer" icon (in Windows XP, it used to be called "My Computer).
Choose "Manage".
Click on "Disk Management".

You should be able to see all of your 'drives', including your TomTom.

If the TomTom already has a drive letter, like the other drives do, then it is working, but I doubt that's the case.

If it doesn't have a drive letter, Right-click on the name of the TomTom 'hard drive'.
Choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths".
Click on the "Add" button to add a drive letter.
On "Assign the following drive letter" you can either leave it with the letter it already has showing, or you can change it to any available letter.

Click the "OK" button.

No luck i'm afraid. The device is not showing up in Disk Management. I've also tried using GParted on a live linux cd and it's not shown there either.

Too strange.
I'm going to attach a little self-contained executable here that is designed to review all USB connections. Unzip the contents into a folder and run it.

With your TomTom connected, please let me know if you see your device listed at all.

I'll be away from the computer all day tomorrow, so won't get back to you to review your results until Thursday. Sorry.

Attachments

• usbdeview.zip
    69.6 KB · Views: 270
Nope nothing is shown for the 720, my tomtom via 120 shows up but not the 720.

I have ordered a new mini usb cable to see if that helps the situation at all.

Thanks for the help Canderson, I really appreciate it!

Don't know if this will help but I've just bought my first TomTom - a Go Live 825 - and experienced a very similar problem with my Windows XP SP3 PC. The unit charged when plugged into the computer, but was not recognised by it and did not show up under Windows Explorer or Device Manager. The issue proved to be a very simple one - the connecting mini-USB plug was not pushed fully home in the socket on the back of the TomTom!

Ask a Question