Go 730 Faills after map update

TomTom Model(s)
Go 730
Received as 2009 xmas gift and worked perfectly until map update in Sept 2010. Followed all instructions to correct problem from TT Support short of returning the unit (don't have receipt and didn't save P of P). Here's the issue:

After 5 or 10 minutes driving, unit will stop performing its directed task and goes to books on tape menu and starts reading Dr Suess. After hitting back/cancel multiple times it goes back on task for less than a minute then we go through the whole routine again except with the mp3 menu. After getting it back on task once more, it will stay there for a minute or 2 then it quits again and fixates on the POI lists from the HelpMe menu screens, tracking its relative position to police, fire, pharmacies, and God knows what else. Hitting the back or return buttons will not save it anymore. It stays on the POI listing for many miles, then it starts flipping through all the menu screens until hits the dreaded AAWS menu and dies right there. At that point, I must do the paperclip reset or clear the flash memory but then the whole cycle starts over.

After backing the device up, I deleted the books on tapes and mp3 folders and it stopped trying to go to those menus but goes directly into the POI HelpMe menu failure I described above. I guess deleting the HelpMe folder is my next step, but will try the business card trick cleaning between the screen and bezel suggested on this forum tonight.

Before the map update, I really enjoyed using this unit with confidence but now doubt it could locate a lass in Lesbos! Any help from the group is appreciated.

Sure sounds like dirt has gotten under the bezel to me.

Also, some who use clear screen protectors report that, over time, they tend to dry out and subsequently add a bit of pressure to the screen, also resulting in phantom keystrokes as you've described.

Cleaning between the bezel and the screen had no effect. I restored the backed up copy to the device, but don't expect any different results. I think it may be a memory problem. After the restore, there is only 107.8mb free space. When the POI tracking kicks in, the device is tracking it's relative position to dozens of police and fire stations and hundreds of local pharmacies. These calculations while I'm driving have to be using up some major calculating resources in the unit. Perhaps I should buy a memory card? Or maybe a new Garmin or Magellan...

TRy downloading and running the Clear Flash tool from here Run it 3 times.

You won't lose any settings. May not help but it won't hurt........:)

I had cleared the flash before many times to no avail, but i did it again 3 times. When i disconnected the unit from TT Home it goes right back to flipping through menu screens. I did the business card trick again, no help. Did the paperclip reset and now the unit will not switch off. It is frozen on the start up picture and won't budge from there. Guess I will let this unit's battery die and buy a replacement. I feel really screwed for paying $70 for a map update that ruined my device. I may contact Visa for a refund as i have documentation of my attempts to correct this through TT Support. My advice to those wondering whether to upgrade a map in a working device, is "Don't even think about it!"

The map update did not cause your problems or literally thousands world wide would be reporting the issue in various public forums and elsewhere. And that is not happening.

There is something else going on with your unit. We just have to figure out what.

map updates put an inordinate amount of write cycles on the flash memory and may have worn it out. try running everything off an sd card to see if it helps.

Ask a Question