Go 720 Constantly rebooting.

TomTom Model(s)
Go720/Go750/Start/Via GO1000/GO1005
Have this problem from a user on another forum I mod.

I updated my GO720 to the latest maps and now it won't start up. This is what happens when I press the power on button.
1. I get the startup picture, then the loading screen with the progress bar at the bottom, then it switches off.
2. If I press the power button again the startup pictures flashes up briefly and the unit powers off.
3. Push the button again nothing happens.
4. Reset doesn't work.
5. If I leave it for a few hours the process starts again as above.

Can't get a PC connection to restore directory.
Any ideas?

Colm, the only quick thing that comes to mind is to see if the user has a computer stored backup and, if so, see if he/she can copy the application from backup to a sdhc card. Insert card into unit and see if the unit boots then.

Worth a shot. After that its try run the battery down & see what happens.
Thanks

Might be worth giving Clear Flash a try although if the PC can't see it even thats going to be difficult.

If the Flash memory has died the easy option as David has suggested is the 4GB SDHC (or larger) and install the whole lot from a backup, if there is no back up then all isn't lost as the map download will still be on the PC and its possible to re-build the device using direct links to the servers to get the application, TTS Voices, Postcodes and anything else it might need, it should also be possible to do this using TT Home but I have never tried this way as I prefer to know whats going on! - Mike

Thanks Mike,
As I said the hard part is getting the device to connect to the PC . Perhaps even putting the application build on a card might work. It the device boots its easy then to get a fresh build onto the device.

I know there is software for some phones that can get into a dead USb device.
Anything similar for These?

No clue on the phone software.

If not yet solved, have the user try a pin reset. Then plug in to computer. Then turn on. This process bypasses most software on the drive, and may get the device to connect. If it connects, do this to see if it helps.

Otherwise, try using winrar to extract the contents of this file onto a blank SD card and see if it starts up the Tomtom.

Ask a Question