GO 630 computer voices?

You summarise correctly :)

Freshly installed up to date application on 630.

Fresh installation of Kate from the link you supplied to the old thread (V693)

Kate being the only installed TTS voice in the folder and was not selected or downloaded using tomtom home.

Although as I said earlier when I installed the new application and Kate was already on my device it was stated in tomtom home that the version of Kate on my device (693) would not work with the current version of the application on my device (8.351).

The only thing that we have NOT considered is that in all of this process, you may have got a blend of more than one version's stray files hanging about. Clearing out all related files and starting from there is the right approach.

At least the 8.351 load you have now isn't bitching about not being able to deal with Kate -- just not making good use of her. That's still a good sign.

So as a last resort (or 2, actually):

First, and JUST in case... look in the "voices" folder on the internal drive of your 630 (since your voices are located on the internal drive, this folder should NOT exist on your SD card .. if it does exist there, KILL it and check to see if things work before you continue!!).

In the "voices" folder in internal memory, you should find a file called "susan.tlv". If you look at this with a text editor, you should see references in the first line of text + binary garbage to "6.0" and in a subsequent line to "6.9.1" or "6.9.3". If you've got 6.9.3 Susan now, it should match that. IF that file is not found, or IF the version does not match (shows either 6.9.1 if Susan is actually 6.9.3 or it shows 7.anything), we have likely identified your problem (version mismatches in the files), in which case...

Using Home, delete Kate and any other computer voices it thinks it can see from both your 630 AND from your computer (Manage my GO > Items on Device > Voices ... kill off any of the 46/47MB voices you see from both computer and 630). Using Explorer, be CERTAIN that both the Susan voice files in the "LoquendoTTS" folder and the "susan.tlv" file from the "voices" folder have been deleted as part of this procedure.

Using Home, navigate back to "Add Traffic Voices Safety Cameras etc", and then reload a fresh Kate (yeah, one more time) using "Voices" > "Computer Voices".

I did as suggested, I used tomtom home to remove all TTS voices (all over 46 / 47 MB) from my device and items on thie computer.

Checked SD card and no voices folder, deleted everything on the SD card except for the western_europe folder.

Started up device and did not start at all, connect to tomtom home and had to download and install 630 application again so that is now fresh again.

Now, checking the voices folder on my device most of the files are called data*.* but the 4 last files in that folder are:

Dave-L7.tlv
Kate-L7.tlv
Simon-L7.tlv
Susan-L7.tlv

I thought these are obviously version 7 files so I deleted all 4. Tested Kate and still not working so deleted LoquendoTTS folder completely from device.

Now my device has no TTS voices at all on it, none on internal memory, SD card or on my computer, no tlv files in voices folder and no TTS voice installed yet when I use tomtom home I'm offered 2 voices to install, Susan version 7 and Simon version 7 so I haven't installed either of those.

As tomtom home doesn't list kate I installed Kate version 690 from the previous thread and now that shows up in manage my device as an installed voice but states again that this voice will not work with the installed application on my device and once again we're at the same point where Kate is available but silent.

Just to test I have removed all voices from my device using manage my go in tomtom home and left no voices on there.

This didn't help, still only Simon and Susan availble in tomtom home.

I have added Jane only from the list of recorded voices and that's where it stands at the moment.

I did as suggested, I used tomtom home to remove all TTS voices (all over 46 / 47 MB) from my device and items on thie computer.

Checked SD card and no voices folder, deleted everything on the SD card except for the western_europe folder.

Started up device and did not start at all,
That should NOT have happened. You shouldn't have had to download the application again. This is strange.

Now, checking the voices folder on my device most of the files are called data*.* but the 4 last files in that folder are:

Dave-L7.tlv
Kate-L7.tlv
Simon-L7.tlv
Susan-L7.tlv

I thought these are obviously version 7 files so I deleted all 4.
OK - so we are clear... those *.tlv files are ONLY markers to the LoquendoTTS voices, not the voices themselves. The voices are over in LoquendoTTS.

What I want to know is what the devil Home is playing at that it keeps trying to push version 7 voices at you.

Tested Kate and still not working so deleted LoquendoTTS folder completely from device.

Now my device has no TTS voices at all on it, none on internal memory, SD card or on my computer, no tlv files in voices folder and no TTS voice installed yet when I use tomtom home I'm offered 2 voices to install, Susan version 7 and Simon version 7 so I haven't installed either of those.
Just as well. I'm going to noodle with some of the other guys that haven't piped in here yet to see if they can make heads or tails of this. If memory serves, mvl has been through a similar exercise with another user.

As tomtom home doesn't list kate I installed Kate version 690 from the previous thread and now that shows up in manage my device as an installed voice but states again that this voice will not work with the installed application on my device and once again we're at the same point where Kate is available but silent.
Got it.

Many thanks Canderson, you deserve a medal for this... Bet you wish you had never got involved :p
Nah - that's what we get paid for (not!)

I'm getting this odd feeling that your unit is identifying itself as something other than a 630 with 8.351. If Home did what you're seeing on any regular basis, we'd be inundated with complaints of this nature.

While waiting for the other guys to roll in, I'd be curious to know what your unit claims to be. If you look a the ttgo.bif file in your 630's root, it will start out with some stuff that looks like this (the example is from my old 720).

[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom GO 720
DeviceVersionHW=GO 720
DeviceSerialNumber=M65XXXXXXXXX
DeviceUniqueID=AK6XX XXXXX
RamDiskVersion=20090518
BootLoaderVersion=55120
LinuxVersion=315187
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8351

What I'm specifically interested in are the all of the "Device..." and "Application..." entries. You'll note that I obscured my serial and ID numbers. You should do the same apart from the first 3 digits.

OK here's the contests from my ttgo.bif file and it looks normal to me but only going on what you described:

[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom GO 630
DeviceVersionHW=GO 630
DeviceSerialNumber=JB5*********
DeviceUniqueID=AK7** ****
RamDiskVersion=20090518
BootLoaderVersion=55120
LinuxVersion=315187
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8351
ApplicationVersion=9982
UserLanguage=English UK

Edit:
While reading through the rest of ttgo.bif I see a list of features:

Features=PlusDownloadDynamic,PlusDownloadGeneral,PlusDownloadMap,PlusDownloadPOI,PlusDownloadScheme,PlusDownloadUpgrade,PlusDownloadVoice,PlusDownloadRingTone,PlusMessageNotification,PlusPushChannel,PlusTraffic,PlusWeather,PlusEphemeris,PlusBuddies,PlusMobileSafetyCameras,PlusRoadConditions,PlusFixedSafetyCameras,PlusFuelPrices,HDTraffic,PlusOnlineCamera,PlusTripReporting,HidRemote,HomeBackup,GPRSEngine,VoiceRecording,ASR,TTS,TTSCompressed,TTSLoquendo700,IPOD,PhotoViewer,PhotoJPGViewer,PhotoBMPViewer,VoiceBrowser,LinkVolumeToNoise,MapShare,Newyork,Itinerary,Caymann,Durham,Leeway,Handsfree,PhoneFeatures,CarSymbol,RichPOI,RDSTMC,Prague,Bluetooth,SDSlot,InternalFlash,Microphone,ExternalModem,SMSSupported,SupportGetAMap

I see in there TTSLoquendo700 along with TTS and TTSCompressed, and obviously I'm no expert but does this features list feed to tomtom home what items to make available for download? If so it is claiming to support version 7 TTS?

Just a thought.

Last edited:
No obvious help there.

The JB on the front of the serial number identifies it correctly as a 2GB 630. The text descriptors all correctly identify it. The firmware version and build all look fine. Geez, do I hate Home.

Still waiting to see who checks in. Gotta bring in the big guns here :p

Well I have news, I've got my voices back and working again!!!

The solution was as I mentioned in my last post and it does in fact seem to be caused by tomtom home :mad:

In the ttgo.bif file you pointed me to I noticed the line of "Features" which contains "TTSLoquendo700". I edited the line manually and changed that to 693, connected to device with tomtom home and to my delight there are 4 computer voices availalbe to add from the add voices option.

Dave, Kate, Simon and Susan all availalbe, all downloaded and installed and working.

Now here's the problem:

Every time I connect my GO 630 to my PC and tomtom home fires up and connects it RE-WRITES the ttgo.bif file itself and changes the Features back to TTSLoquendo700 then when I go to add voices it says that the installed voices on my device will not work with the installed version of the tomtom application.

Tomtom home wants to force version 7 voices on me and it does it because tomtom home is setting features in ttgo.bif to state that my device supports version 7 voices!

How can there not be others getting this bug?

Anyway I got it working but now every time I connect to tomtom home I have to edit ttgo.bif myself before disconnecting from my PC.

So who needs to know about this and look further in to it now?

OK - this gets stranger and stranger.

Another mod (Mike) has confirmed that he's had both 6.9 and 7.0 voices pushed by Home, concurrently resident, and all usable on his 930 which also runs 8.351! So in contradiction to some previous thinking, it's clear that 8.351 can manage 7.0 voices on the right unit - and as the latest arrival in the x30 group, he believes your 630 is likely capable of 7.0 support after all.

He points out that he's got license files for both levels of voices in his LoquendoTTS folder. One is called "LicenceCode.txt", same as I have for my 720/730 that is the license for 6.9 voices, and "LicenceCode7.txt" which is for version 7.0 voices.

Last I checked, you had downloaded version 7 of the Dave, Kate, Simon and Susan voices (please advise if this is NOT the case), and you're having to fake the ttgo.bif with 693 to make them work - pretty counterintuitive. That implies that we still have something hanging about that references 6.93.

I assume after the download of the 4 voices, the "voices" folder once again has all of the name-L7.tlv files. No problem there. We'll leave that alone this time since your 630 and Home both seem to be driving towards getting V7 voices working. So we're going to try to kill all 6.9 voice stuff this time instead of killing the 7.0 stuff.

WHAT license file(s) do you find in LoquendoTTS folder at this point? The "LicenceCode.txt" or "LicenseCode7.txt" or both? We've just got to get all of the parts aligned.

Also in the LoquendoTTS folder you should see file called "default.session" AND/OR "default.7session". Which do you see there? These describe how and where the voices and licenses were located when they were loaded. If you should happen to open one with a text editor, do NOT freak out when you see mention of an "SD" card in there. While that's exactly what it says, that is NOT what it means. Believe it or not, ""/mnt/sdcard/LoquendoTTS" refers the the internal memory here, not an external SD card.

Last I checked, you had downloaded version 7 of the Dave, Kate, Simon and Susan voices (please advise if this is NOT the case), and you're having to fake the ttgo.bif with 693 to make them work - pretty counterintuitive. That implies that we still have something hanging about that references 6.93.

Actually before this latest fix I had no TTS voices at all on my device, so since the work-around by editing ttgo.bif I have downloaded and installed version 6xx voices and they are what I have got installed and working.

After disconnecting and reconnecting to tomtom home if I go in to add voices it shows 2 computer voices available to add, Simon and Susan I think, not Kate or David. I also see Simon and Susan already installed but home states that the installed versions will not work on my device. Kate and David are not shown as available or already installed, only Simon and Susan are mentioned at all and 2 versions of each of them.

Actually before this latest fix I had no TTS voices at all on my device, so since the work-around by editing ttgo.bif I have downloaded and installed version 6xx voices and they are what I have got installed and working.
OK - didn't know that you'd done that. So modifying the ttgo.bif file is what caused Home to push V6.9 voices to you instead of V7.0 voices? And did you check on those files I mentioned?

So modifying the ttgo.bif file is what caused Home to push V6.9 voices to you instead of V7.0 voices? And did you check on those files I mentioned?

Yes it was modifying the Features in ttgo.bif which allowed me to install version 6xx voices and got them to work.

I've been at work all day today and unable to connect up my device to check the files but I will when I get back home tonight.

OK got connected again and in voices folder I have:

Dave.tlv
Kate.tlv
Simon.tlv
Susan.tlv

In LoquendoTTS folder I have:

LicenseCode.txt

But in LoquendoTTS>bin I have:

LTTS7AudioBoard.so

I don't know what any of that means but it looks like the device still has a mix of verison 6.xx and 7 files.

I do know that I can't get it to work with version 7 but 6.xx are still working for now :)

Dave.tlv
Kate.tlv
Simon.tlv
Susan.tlv OK - those are all V6

In LoquendoTTS folder I have:

LicenseCode.txt and that's V6

But in LoquendoTTS>bin I have:

LTTS7AudioBoard.so no problem, you'll see that version regardless of whether you've got V6 or V7 voices

I do know that I can't get it to work with version 7 but 6.xx are still working for now :)
Yeah, but it's going to be a pain to keep editing the ttgo.bif file, isn't it?

At any rate, make sure you've got a full Explorer backup of your unit just as it sits as a point of reference. If at some point you want to pursue the move from V6 to V7 voices (I think we could get there from here), let us know.

All is still well with my 630 and I have done a current back up so if you're willing to keep trying I'd love to get up and running with version 7 if possible.

I'm at your mercy :p

So as we stand all TTS voices installed are version 6.xx and are working. Nothing version 7 in sight.

If I run tomtom home now it only shows Simon and Susan version 6.xx voices on my device and says they will not work but only offers 2 version 7 voices for download.

There are 4 version 6.xx voices installed but not showing in tomtom home.

So do we have any ideas to get fully up to version 7 please?

Belated birthday party at home for moi today, so lots of prep to do in advance, party to follow. Won't likely be online again until Sunday - if tonight, most likely full of mistakes! Just wanted you to know I'm not ignoring the post.

I have bought a new 4gb SD card for my go 630 as my old one was not rated as class 6, it was bought before they specified class on them.

Also have been having problems with error messages, unable to store map settings etc... which was cured with a scandisk on my old memory card.

Ready when you are, to try version 7 fix.

Ask a Question