GO 630 computer voices?

Hi all

This is a last attempt before giving up and scrapping my TomTom GO 630.

After using TomTom home to update my device (auto updates) A map update was installed to the internal memory but to carry out the update the home software removed several files from my device to free up sufficient internal memory for the map to fit.

Ever since this my device has lost all computer (text to speach) voices, I had been using Kate voice which reads out road names but can not find any way of restoring the voice now.

I have no backup to restore from and can find no easy way to restore anything to my device without having a backup.

My Western Europe map update subscription has expired and I refuse to re-subscribe unless I can resolve this issue, though I notice that any map update from TomTom home is too big to fit on the 630 internal memory so I can see no way to proceed using my TomTom device.

Any help at all please?

Phil

Your 630 has this little slot in the bottom -- designed for an SD card. Great feature. One of the main reasons to buy one of the GO models instead of one of the others.

Would recommend you plunk down a couple of quid for a 4GB Class 6 SDHC card, install that, move your W.E. map folder to that, and free up all of the internal memory that the map occupied. As long as you've updated your application to version 8.3XX (the latest is 8.351), you can stuff in up to 32GB if you could sort out what to do with all of that space.

Once you've got some space to work with, we can get Kate back on your system easily enough, along with Bob, Carol, Ted and Alice <g>.

Let us know when you've got a card in hand (and we aren't kidding about Class 6) and I think you'll find we can get your 630 very happy again.

I've got a 4gb card in there already. I always have had since new.

Even with the map installed on the SD card in there and the voices installed on the SD card they are not available in the menu to change voice - only human voices are there, none of the computer voices are there.

I tried installing them, removing them, reinstalling them and no joy.

Oh I also tried installing voices on the internal memory and to the SD card and they don't appear.

Also have tried using "Manage my go" in tomtom home app and have restored the Kate voice from my computer to the SD card and to the internal memory and still it does not appear.

If possible, can we get ONLY the W.E. map folder over on the SD card, and everything else back over to internal memory? And it will be important that things aren't duplicated between the internal and SD. Let's start from there. Certainly don't want you binning your 630 if things are still as functional as they appear to be.

Then we'll want to be sure that the Kate voice isn't still actually intact and available either on your unit or on your PC before downloading it again online.

On the internal drive of your 630, in the LoquendoTTS folder, do you still see the Kate.vde file, and in the subfolder EnglishUK (I think that's where it goes), do you see yet another folder called Kate with files in it? If not, we'll poke around your PC and see if we can find it that way. If not, we'll just have to get you another copy of Kate.

Since we don't know the precise order and what actually happened during the update attempt, it's easier to assume nothing and just do the reconstruction as needed.

Out of curiosity, was your map folder already on the SD card during the update that claimed there wasn't enough room? If so, what all were you normally keeping on the SD card?!? Not easy to eat up a full 4GB unless you had a North American map on it as well or something along those lines.

...and have restored the Kate voice from my computer to the SD card and to the internal memory and still it does not appear.
That's not known for working -- unless your whole system is on SD, these TTS voices seem to require residence in internal memory along with the application, not out on the SD card.

Thanks Canderson I'm now at the stage I have only the map on the SD card, I have removed all the voice folders and LoquendoTTS folders from the SD card manually.

I have been through tomtom home, manage my go and have checked application, map, voices, car symbols and everything else is on internal memory.

In windows explorer I can see on the SD card only 4 items, maps folder, western_europe folder, connect2internetdb.ver file and WMPInfo.xml file.

I have used tomtom home to add voices to my device while having internal memory selected and kate is now not on my device but also not available from the list of voices. I added susan and simon and they both successfully downloaded and installed to internal memory but are not visible under change voice menu so they are not useable.

I now have Jane, Tim, Ken, Bonnie, Lori, Mandy, Richard, Aonghus and Kathy availble to select from change voice.

Also I checked my application is up to date 8.351 and is installed to internal memory.

Any advice where to go next please?

I need to be out of computer range from now until sometime this afternoon, but as soon as I return, I'll jump back here again right away. That you have Susan and Simon there is good, but we need to be 100% certain that these are version 6.9 voices and not 7.0 -- Home shouldn't have offered and given you 7.0 voices for 8.351 code, but you never know. In fact, while I'm away, if you'll poke around in the LoquendoTTS folder of your TomTom, I'd be interested to see if the extended names on those voices reads 6.9 or 7.0. Should be easy to spot.

I tried as per instructions on the thread in the link you sent me - I didn't download the applicaiton only the Kate cab file, extracted it to LoguendoTTS folder on internal memory and still no Kate.

Thanks anyway.

Did you check to see what versions of the other voices Home had provided to you? And you ARE using firmware 8.351 on your unit? We never established that.

I did say earlier I checked the application version of my device is the latest, 8.351.

As for the previous versions of voices I can't tell and don't know how to check but the files on my deve were:

Kate.16000.LTTS7CodecMsx.32800.10.bin
Kate.vde
KateGildedParalinguistics.16000.LTTS7CodecMsx.32800.10.bin
KateGildedPhrases.16000.LTTS7CodecMsx.32800.10.bin
KateTT.16000.LTTS7CodecMsx.32800.10.bin

I have removed the whole LoquendoTTS folder with those files in and backed it up on to my hard drive.

The files I downloaded and extracted from the link you posted are now:

Kate.16000.loqmsx.bin
KateGilded.16000.loqmsx.bin
KateTT.16000.loqmsx.bin
KateTT.lex
LoqKateGildedSde.so
LoqKateSde.so
LoqKateTTSde.so

Neither seem to work.

Also Susan and Simon although they were downloaded and added they never appeared in the list to select as voices.

Still can't get it working.

OK - well, at least we know why the previous Kate wasn't working. Wrong version. But you've got the right one now.

Let's assume that all of the "computer" voices you may have resident except for the Kate that you just pulled down are version 7, and that your unit is really unhappy about them. Remove all computer voices EXCEPT that last Kate (which looks to me to be the right one), and let's start from there. When you're done, you want the LTTS7 version of Kate gone, and any other computer voices (e.g., Susan, etc.). The little voices that are only 0.7MB each are no problem. It's any other biggies that are in the Loquendo file that are the issue.

Right, the only voice I have in the LoquendoTTS folder on my device internal memory is the Kate voice I downloaded from the link in the earlier thread - v690.

I connect to my device using tomtom home and go to manage my device and it shows under items on device:

Kate
English (United Kingdon) v690 - Kate More info...
This item cannot be used with the current version of the
TomTom application on your device

47.1MB Internal Memory

Kate is the only voice in the folder, the only 40MB + voice showing up in manage my device, all the others are the 0.6 MB and 0.7MB standard voices.

I start my device physically (not through tomtom home) and go to select voice and Kate is not there.

Can't see this working :confused:

More information...

If I go in to tomtom home and choose add voices, computer voices, there are Juliette, Saskia, Simon and Susan listed (no kate), and if I view the "more info" for both Simon and Susan they show up version 700.

So my device will not work with version 700 yet manually downloading Kate version 690 does not work either.

Is it possible that the application is corrupted or at least is the cause of the problems? Can the application be deleted or downloaded and replaced?

Scratching my head. I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing here, but can't imagine what.

Yeah, let's take this one from scratch just one time to see if it improves anything. Can't hurt.

BTW, move the "maps" folder from your SD card back to internal memory. Not the main North American map folder, just the one called "maps".

First, be sure you've done the full backup of the thing as it sits now since it's mostly functional: https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Then delete all of the loose, single files from the root of your 630. Do not delete any of the folders!

Hook back up to Home. It will offer you a replacement application. Should be 8.351. Let 'er rip.

OK I backed up my device, cleared all the files from root, moved the maps folder from SD card to internal memory and have only Kate V693 in the LoquendoTTS folder in internal memory.

Started my device, connected to TomTom home and installed latest application which is now working.

Good news, Kate V693 is availble in the list of voices.

Bad news, my device is totally silent while driving with Kate selected. She doesn't work.

I get directions only if selecting a recorded voice, eg. Jane.

Still at a loss with this.

OK - let's see if Kate is functional or just not being communicative.

Change Preferences > Voice Preferences > Change Voice > [select Kate] > Test

What happens when you press Test??? Does she say "You have reached your destination"?

No, if I press test on Kate she says nothing at all. The device is silent.

Test on other voices works fine.

Pressing on bottom left of screen to adjust volume while driving with a route planned repeats the last instruction with other voices but with Kate there is only silence there too.

Last edited:
So to summarize our current situation...

You have the application freshly loaded.
You have a 6.9 version of Kate freshly loaded.
Unlike before, the 630 now sees Kate and it allows you to select it.
You don't hear a thing when testing or using Kate.

So all we've done so far is get what appears to be an acceptable (if not functional) version of Kate there.

While I sit and stew on that much... Is that about the size it?

Ask a Question