Go 540 live on off button not working

TomTom Model(s)
Go 540 live
Last year during a very hot spell my 540 Go Live was left in the cradle on the windscreen in the sun for an hour or two and became quite hot to the touch.
I couldn't get it to work for a few hours afterwards, but then it returned to normal. Panic over.
Now this time I have done the same again, only this time it would not switch off, I left it overnight to run down but in the morning it would not switch on.
I have left it in the cradle hooked to the pc and have a green light indicating the battery has recharged, but it will not come back on.
I have whipped the back off and had a look at the on off switch and everything in there seems tickety boo.
Any ideas out there, or is it just time for a new battery?

Have you tried a reset? i.e. holding the power button down hard for around 20 seconds until you hear a drum roll sound, then release the button straight away.

By the way... I don;t believe you when you say it got hot in Scotland....:lol:

Last edited:
Thanks Andy I tried holding the button in until I was going blue in the face, it would not switch off never mind reset.
I've ordered a replacement battery, more in hope than anything.
Shame, I couldn't get one from Tom Tom, seems we are expected to buy a new Tom Tom when the battery dies. Curious though, I found one supplier promising a ten year guarantee on their replacement battery from China. Too good to be true? I thought so anyway.

The sunshine problem last year happened outside Derby, this time it was in Aberdeen, that said I have had this GO540 Live for over three years now and those were the only times that particular problem has come up! :lol: Map updates, now that's my pet grumble:mad:

Ask a Question